Help With Cake Sizes, Plz!

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 12:36am by CakesbyBecca

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 3

I've been asked to do a cake for Bunco night at church and I'm really excited, but I need some help. I've been told to expect 50 or more and would like to do a tiered cake, but can't afford to buy any new pans at this time. So here's what I have on hand:
1 4" round, 2.5" tall
1 7" round, 2.5" tall
3 8" round, 1.5" tall
1 10" round, 2.5" tall
1 10" round, 2" tall
1 12" round, 2" tall

What I would like to do is a double-layer 4", 7" and 10". My concern is, though, that since the pans are 2.5" tall, the top layer would look funny, being 5" tall and only 4" in diameter. I could cut 1/2" off each layer, but I only have a measly Wilton leveler (the small one) and it tears up my cakes when I try to use it. I've used bread knives with some success, but with this being my first 3 tiered cake, I want to make sure it's REALLY level and I'm not very good at eye-balling it, which is why I like to overfill the pans and use the edge of the pan to guide the knife as I level the cake. If I've done my research correctly, these sizes would serve 40 to 50 people, and then I could bring some cupcakes for the rest.
So I guess my basic question is, would a 4" round layer that is 5" tall look funny? If so, what would you do, using only the above mentioned pans?
Thanks for your help!

Becca

2 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 3

i think it will look of... add some fondant ribbon to the bottom of it if possible!

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 3

I think I may have found a solution. When I take the cakes out of the 2.5" pans, I could put them into a 2" pan and use the edge to rest my knife on while I level. I think that might work.

Becca

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%