Made Black Buttercream But It Tastes Awefull..pls Help!

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 12:42am by Bluesea

Bluesea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluesea Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 10

I've a cake due on Friday night. I just made 2 cups of black bt using Americolor Super Black. I started off with brown color first and than added black. It didn't turn completely black just dark grey but i understand from this forum that if you leave it overnite, it will turn black. Just tasted and it is awfull. Furthermore, my tongue turned black. Why is this so? Don't want customer to complain.

Please help. It is now 1am and i am going to bed.

Hope to get some good advise.

Thank you.

9 replies
shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 10

i start with dark cocoa (as long as people don't mind chocolate icing) i find it isn't as horrible tasting then

Galyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galyna Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 10

hi, it is really taste not very good thumbsdown.gif
try to color chocolate buttercream first, but as you know after eating that buttercream your mouth will be black too icon_lol.gif
good luck icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 10

Maybe start off with a mix of different colors to make a yucky brown, then some brown, and then tiny bits of black until you get what you need. Some people save leftover BC in the freezer and then use it to make black.

Also what color brown did you use and maybe you should try Wilton's black?

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 10

I use a cocoa to start out when I am making black..I can't remember if it is Hershey brand or not, but it says something like "Special Dark" on the tin and the powder is a little darker and I think helps me get to black faster w/o having to use as much black coloring and it has always tasted good.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 10

Cocoa or hershey's syrup does help to not have to use as much black gel color.

But regardless, black icing = black mouth and tongue. I think people expect it so I wouldn't worry too much about your client. It happens with all darker colors.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 10

I did some googling and someone suggested tinting green first, instead of brown. Maybe then you can mix some brown to make it even darker. Then tiny bits of black.

Another said that gels work best. I highly recommend at least trying Wilton's or Chefmaster's gels before stressing anymore over it.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 10

I always make chocolate buttercream when I make black frosting, and it helps alot with the taste. I dont think you are ever going to get rid of everyone having black mouths and tongues.

auntiekim82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiekim82 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 10

Hi! I'm new to the site here, but I might have some helpful advice!

I did a guitar shaped cake for my brother's 30th birthday a couple of years ago and I mixed chocolate buttercream with a bit of Wilton's Royal Blue gel and it came out super black! No funny aftertaste or anything. HTH!! icon_smile.gif

Bluesea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluesea Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #10 of 10

Thank u all for reading my post and for your ideas. I am gonna try doing chocolate bt and move on to black.

I've hershey's unsweetened chocolate. Can i add this? I am really hoping it doesn't taste bad.

Pls wish me luck.

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%