Rice Krispy Treats In Cake Decorating

Decorating By shellee Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 3:58am by Wendoger

shellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellee Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I was wondering if there is a special recipe you use for rice krispy treats, when using it to mold figures on a cake? I've never used it before for this. I used the basic recipe of the box to mold the head of a cartoon character, then covered it in buttercream and it just broke apart after I attached it to the cake, I did use some skewers as supports to attach the head to the body. When i was working with it it was very sticky, and not real firm, of course it is a very hot and humid day here. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #2 of 5

When I've done it, I put the rice krispies in the blender before mixing them with the marshmallow, and left out the butter in the recipe. It's heavy and dense, but smooth under the fondant (and I didn't need buttercream to glue the fondant on).

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #3 of 5

I just used the regular recipe and it worked alright. Maybe it's the humidity? (I'm in the Seattle area so not very humid). The PP suggestion sounds like a good one. Good Luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #4 of 5

I buy the premade ones. They're strong and easy to use.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:58am
post #5 of 5

Yes, putting them in the blender first helps.....makes them not so lumpy and no buttericon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%