Filigree Pattern On Buttercream Cake

Decorating By harrisonsmama Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm by pish

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 11

once again I need advice from my fellow CCer's. I have a buttercream cake and the client wants a filigree pattern in gold piped onto the cake i n addition to rubies. She has requested absolutely no fondant, but wants the filigree pattern in gold. I was planning on piping the pattern in royal icing and then going back to paint it with gold luster dust. I use french buttercream and am a bit worried about how royal icing will adhere to a buttercream cake and if it can be refrigerated. Help please. Thanks!

10 replies
harrisonsmama Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 11

I failed to mention that I have an aversion to crusting buttercream. Woudld piping gel mixed with gold luster dust work? I am not sure this would be as pretty.

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 11

that is how I would do it.

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 11

what if you used rice paper to make this filigree on and you than can paint the gold on. If you are using luster dust you can mix it with vodka and it evaperates so you don't need to worry.

harrisonsmama Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 11

I am just worried that the piping gel will not look good.

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 11

I just did two 50th anniversary cakes that I mixed the gold luster dust with piping gel. They are in my pics. It worked really, really well and much easier then painting over royal. Hope that helps!

harrisonsmama Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 11

wow, that does look beautiful! Did you have to put a ton on luster in the gel?

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 11

No. I just made two cakes using homemade luster gel - equal parts luster and powdered sugar. Mix it up and add the gel to the consistency that you want.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 11

harrisonsmama, French buttercream is new to me (I'm learning so much here!). Do you use the recipe that has powdered sugar and heavy cream or the easy recipe with granulated sugar and milk?

Beverly

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 11

harrisonsmama, French buttercream is new to me (I'm learning so much here!). Do you use the recipe that has powdered sugar and heavy cream or the easy recipe with granulated sugar and milk?

Beverly

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 11

harrisonsmama-

It did take a fair amount of dust but it seemed to last, and last, and last . I think I used two little containers and about 1/2 to 3/4 C gel. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%