Fondant Swags

Decorating By zolacakes Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 4:04am by gscout73

zolacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zolacakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 18

Has anyone ever draped fondant swags on a buttercream cake. If so, how did you get them to stay? I've done it often on a fondant covered cake, but I'm not sure if the weight would be an issue on a buttercrem iced cake. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

17 replies
fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 18

Are you talking about the fondant drapes that looks like material that is draped over the cake or are you talking about swags that are around the tier itself?

zolacakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 18

Hello....the kind that go around the cake. See photo icon_smile.gif
LL

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 18

I haven't done that before but I would try rolling out your fondant cut a retangle and pinch together to create the creases. Then I'd put it on the cake either dampen the buttercream with water a place on the cake for the fondant to stick or push in toothpicks to keep them there. You'll have to be careful not to get the fondant too thick because it will be too heavy. I hope that helps some. I know there is a website somewhere that sells molds for that but I haven't order any yet.

zolacakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 18

Dear Fabfour,
Thanks for the input. I know how to make them....I was just wondering if anyone did this before. I think they would be too heavy to attach to the buttercream, but I like your idea of the molds. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 18

OMG, I was just getting ready to post this same question! I just had a bride request almost the same exact thing yesterday. How can we make it work? I thought about toothpics as well but the fondant would have to be almost paper thin wouldn't it?

RRGibson Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 18

OMG, I was just getting ready to post this same question! I just had a bride request almost the same exact thing yesterday. How can we make it work? I thought about toothpics as well but the fondant would have to be almost paper thin wouldn't it?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 18

hi, there was a thread on this question not long ago..... can,t lead you there.... but most decorators were against it .... saying they didn,t think it would stay ... no matter how thin you rolled it.... if i tried it... i would definitely use butter cream to attach the whole swag.... i think i will play with it myself to see what happens... when i say buttercream... i mean a good medium consistency.....

RRGibson Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 18

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 18

I did this once and it was a nightmare. The bc pulled right off the cake.

I am sure there is a way to do it, I just have not figured it out.

I rooled the swags as thin as I could and added a bit of bc and a toothpick to hold it. It just would not stay.

I hope someone else will have some good suggestions for you.

RRGibson Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #11 of 18

What about royal icing? You think that would work?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 18

One thought...you may have to place the tops of the swags on the top of the tier then hide them with a bow or flower or...

all4cake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #14 of 18

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=285353

This CCer did it. Maybe you could send an IM and ask how he/she was able to keep them on.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #15 of 18

I did it once and it worked ok but only because I kept the cake refrigerated. The buttercream was cold when I put the swags on the cake and then I put it back in the fridge. It was really just dumb luck, I think, though. When customers ask now I tell them I can only do swags with a fondant covered cake. I don't want the stress of worrying if they'll fall off and take chunks of buttercream with them.

zolacakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #16 of 18

Thank you so much for all your replies! I think I,too, will stick with telling brides it needs to be fondant covered for swags. I don't need the extra stress....I agree with jsmith.

RRGibson Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #17 of 18

I guess I better do the same. Awww man, I already quoted her a price icon_sad.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:04am
post #18 of 18

Toothpics!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%