How Much Do You Charge For Classes?

Business By cakedout Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 3:55am by Monkess

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 4

It's been a few years since I last taught, and I am considering beginning a series of classes again. I teach only what I consider "the basics"- kinda a revised and upgraded version of the Wilton classes. I also do a Tiered Cakes 101 class and a very basic intro to gp and fondant.

For my continuing education classes at the local high school I received $20/hr. My classes at home I charged maybe $50, but I was selling retail merchandise to the students as well.

I've taken some professional classes myself (and paid big bucks for it!), but I have a hard time justifying those kind of prices for MY level of expertise! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

So what do you charge? Any suggestions for me?

3 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 4

Some charge by the hour, some charge per person. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable charging per person? I charge by the hour for up to 6 students, then after that I add on according to how many more will be attending. I also require students to bring their own supplies to class.

HTH,
Deanna

mageliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mageliza Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:42am
post #3 of 4

Students in a class like yours will get far more personal attention right? Don't hesitate to charge what you're time is worth--the demand has never been greater.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #4 of 4

I would make a set course say once a week for a month and then tell them what they will learn for how much. I think $100 for a 4 class course, not including materials is very fair...but you have got to have atleast 6-8 people to make it worthwhile. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%