How Do You Deal?? Vent!!

Decorating By jespooky Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 1:49am by 7yyrt

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 25

ok, so it's about 90 degrees here in CNY today...I have a cake due, and as i'm mixing it hubby says "you are NOT baking a cake in this heat!" and i reply, "yes, i am" he then says to me "you just don't get it, you'll never learn...how am i supposed to cool down the house with the ac while you are baking??" Now i understand where he is coming from, but what am i supposed to do, call the customer and say "i'm sorry, i can't bake your cake, it's too hot today!" It's been hot all week, so it's not like i could have chosen a different day to bake and then freeze. So how do you deal with this?? icon_sad.gif

24 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 25

I know how it is, we have had a hot summer here, average temp is 90 -100 lately. But what do you do when I need a bunch of cakes. I try to do it in the evenings when a few degrees cooler. Not much choice.

jespooky Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 25

icon_cry.gif bump

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 25

Can you bake late at night? Is it any cooler then? Otherwise just tell your husband what you told us. You have to get it done. It's hot here every day too. I'm in So. CA where it's close to 100 everyday. We just have to deal. HTH! icon_smile.gif

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 25

my husband usually doesnt say anything,im the one thats complaining "its to hot in here." he will remind me how much the electric bill is,then i shut my mouth and put up with it! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 25

It gets so hot in my kitchen just when I'm making dinner that I've started wearing a bandanna to keep sweat from dripping in my eyes. I'm kind of a night owl, so I do my baking during the night, when it's maybe 75 outdoors. I just turn off the AC and open the windows, then get all my baking done. There's no windows in the kitchen and only a small doorway, so it doesn't help with heat in the actual kitchen, but it keeps the rest of the house cool without having the AC run constantly. I wish I could make tortillas in the middle of the night when it's cooler, but we're too used to having them fresh with the meals.

My husband never says anything about the oven being on icon_biggrin.gif I'm not even baking for customers, just for fun and practice, but he gets happy when he sees the oven getting used because he knows he's getting something yummy.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 25

I bake when he's not home and crank the A/C down a few more degrees! icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 25

Have you considered a second oven somewhere like the garage? Somewhere that you are not trying to keep cool in other words. You can do all your mixing, etc. in the kitchen, then just pop out to 'other' stove to put in/take out and test. This could save you a lot of money and frustration and would be worth the cost of an extra stove. Especially when you could get a really nice one used! Good luck, I totally feel your pain. I'm about ready to start a new policy of not doing stacked tiered cakes in the summer. It's too frustrating!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 25

I bake either late at night or very early in the morning. My DH goes to work at 6am, so if I preheat the oven while we're getting him ready for work, then bake as soon as he leaves, I can usually beat the heat.

The rule in our house is: No A/C until it's time to frost. icon_razz.gif LOL Hey, it works for us. Fortunately, the frosting and decorating are the time-consuming parts, and if you don't think I don't milk that for all it's worth... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Seriously, though... I also give him half of any tips I collect from cakes (I only charge for supplies right now), and he puts that toward the electricity and gas I use for cakes. icon_razz.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 25

Do you have central air or a window unit?

I live in the hot and humid south where if you get behind on your cooling, you just about will never catch up. So I always plan for any heat related event. For meals and such, I cook EARLY in the morning, use my crock pot and microwave whenever possible. I do baking as late in the evening as I can manage.

I read an article where someone used a fan in their windows at night. When it was cool enough outside, they turned the fan the opposite way to pull the heat out. Then in the morning, they could run the runs the correct way for several hours before needing the AC. They saved several hundred dollars that way.

Our AC went out recently when the temperature was 102 for the weekend, heat index much higher. It made a HUGE difference in our house by simply keeping it as dark as possible. My blinds were fine except for the east side of the house...namely my kitchen. I hung thick sheets over my bay window and other windows. WOW. What a difference! Try that.

I cannot tolerate the heat and we have lots of allergies here. I can scrimp on gas and food and lots of other necessities, but I cannot function if I'm hot. So we do what we can to cut down on the heat but keep it a comfortable temperature.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 25

I wish I had AC in my kitchen!!!! before I started baking I never turned on the over in the summer, now, its simply just a necessity sometimes. I try to bake at night, like some others said, and I use a vornado fan (small and high speed) pointed at me or at the oven towards the window to try to keep the hot air blowing out the window instead of into the rest of the house.
Baking in the summer sux icon_cry.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 25

You may want to consider a window unit for your kitchen also, even if you have central air! Especially if you have a kitchen that is not open (like a great room). That can be a life saver!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 25

DoniB I love your AC only when icing rule! Our house is AC only during the night and late evening when we sleep (nobody in my house can sleep while hot) and after the last light bill ($700!!!!) My parents are pretty much getting ready to shrink usuage even more. Last week it got to 86 in my house, talk about hot!

~Alicia

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 25

I definately know where you are coming from being in the same area.

My suggestion is to try and plan on baking on the cooler days of the week. I usually watch the weather forecast to see which day I will be baking. Friday looks like the day this week!

If I have to bake in the heat it's very early in the morning so that the house will cool down during the day and not be steaming when I'm trying to sleep.

Hope you don't have too many cakes over the next few weeks the weather like it's going to stay for awhile.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Our AC went out recently when the temperature was 102 for the weekend, heat index much higher. It made a HUGE difference in our house by simply keeping it as dark as possible. My blinds were fine except for the east side of the house...namely my kitchen. I hung thick sheets over my bay window and other windows. WOW. What a difference! Try that.

I just read about covering the windows with those emergency blankets...you know, the thin shiny plastic sheets that they sell at the sporting goods store for about two dollars each. Anyhow, I read that you could block 40% of the heat entering your windows if you covered them with that stuff. I've tried it in one room so far (Academy only had 2 of the things, I guess other people had read about it too) and it really seems to help. It doesn't block all the light in the room, just the heat.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

I just read about covering the windows with those emergency blankets...you know, the thin shiny plastic sheets that they sell at the sporting goods store for about two dollars each. Anyhow, I read that you could block 40% of the heat entering your windows if you covered them with that stuff. I've tried it in one room so far (Academy only had 2 of the things, I guess other people had read about it too) and it really seems to help. It doesn't block all the light in the room, just the heat.

you can also use car window tint -- the sliver kind works best ---

but be warned -- at night -- it's a mirror on the INSIDE so hard to see out.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #17 of 25

Living here on Kauai, Hawaii, we don't have AC at all, we do have wonderful ceiling fans & as our temperatures on this island hardly ever reach 90, it is a fabulous place to live, we mostly have nauture's AC, the trade winds, our doors & windows are aways open. It is very comfortable. Having lived in S.California for 20 years, I know what everyone is going through with the terrible heat, it is awful.

jespooky Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 25

wow thanks for all the ideas! Our ac is actually a window unit in the living room, so it's already hot in the kitchen anyways!! madhatter.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #19 of 25

Tell your husband it's your house too. Isn't it?

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

Living here on Kauai, Hawaii, we don't have AC at all, we do have wonderful ceiling fans & as our temperatures on this island hardly ever reach 90, it is a fabulous place to live, we mostly have nauture's AC, the trade winds, our doors & windows are aways open. It is very comfortable. Having lived in S.California for 20 years, I know what everyone is going through with the terrible heat, it is awful.

I lived on Oahu and man i loved not having to have ac!!! and honestly, one night it got so chilly to me i had to put sweats on! LOL but yes, the natural ac was LOVELY! man i miss that place!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #21 of 25

I bet you do Ruby, I feel truly blessed to live in such a lovely place.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #22 of 25

Reading this, I feel very very blessed. We built our home 10 years ago and it's a very energy efficient house. We run the AC all the time, the house is never hot, even when we're cooking or baking, and our highest elec bill (including AC, washer/dryer and electric water heater) is in the $150 range, during the hottest heat wave. I usually wear a sweater or cuddle on the couch under a blanket because hubby likes it REALLY cold in the house!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #23 of 25

Well, if you only have a window unit, there is probably no way that you will get caught up with the humidity being what it has been today, but now it has cooled off here. When we only had a window unit i would block off the livingroom from the kitchen, then place a fan backwards in the window when baking to draw the heat out of the kitchen. About 5 years ago we invested in central AC and it was one of the best investments we made, and it costs us no more to run the central as it did to run the window unit the difference now is that the whole house is very comfortable in stead of just one room being bearable.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

I bet you do Ruby, I feel truly blessed to live in such a lovely place.

oh it was gorgeous!!! i lived in Waialua on the North Shore. we were able to get a house right on the beach! OMG 3 years of HEAVEN!!!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:49am
post #25 of 25

You need to calmly talk about it during the cool hours.

Cake orders mean money coming in.
Cakes orders mean the oven will be running.
Ovens mean added heat.

Ask him what he expects you to do.
Does your husband want you to refuse cake orders in the summertime?
Does the added income pay for the additional AC?
Questions like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%