What Is Antonia's Royal Icing

Baking By spsjj Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm by deetmar

spsjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spsjj Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:06am
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have the recipie to share and why is it different thatn Wilton? Thanks buddies

14 replies
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:31am
post #2 of 15

Hi,

Here is the link to Antonia's recipe for her RI. It is what I use and I love working with it plus it tastes great!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

Besides having different measurements, she has cream of tartar and I honestly don't know how that plays in the recipe. icon_redface.gif But I highly recommend trying it!

HTH,
Kim

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:42am
post #3 of 15

I highly recommend it! I just learned about it last week and it has completely changed my little cookie world! I read on a post where Antonia74 said that her meringue powder has vanilla in it for flavor, but others who don't have that exact product either leave it as is flavor-wise or add almond or clear vanilla. I tried it with 1 tsp. of almond and I really like it. Have fun!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 15

Hi Spsjj!

I really disliked the taste of the Wilton icing when I first made it in baking class at school, so I came up with my icing recipe for a better taste and consistency. I wanted my cookies to be very easy to ice and the recipe to taste great.

TracyLH is bang-on though. I use a meringue powder that already has a very strong (yummy!) vanilla flavour built right in....so if yours doesn't, just make sure to add a non oil-based flavouring (anything you want) to yours. If you want to try the meringue powder I actually use, it's purchased in 500 gram tubs or the 1 kilogram bags here near Toronto:

http://www.mccalls.ca

Click here for the step-by-step article with photos I did too...

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

icon_smile.gif

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 15

Love this icing. It's so easy to work with and dries nice and smooth.

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 15

I have a question. Her recipe calls for 2.25 pounds of powdered sugar. In a bag of powdered sugar, it's only 2 pounds. Can I use the one bag or do I need the extra 1/4 pound. Mind you, I only have 1 bag and I don't have the time to go today to buy more sugar. Please help!!!!!

Ana

lorijohernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijohernandez Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 15

I just tried this recipe yesterday and I love it!!! It did take longer to dry than the Wilton recipe Royal Icing, but that also could have been because it was incredibly humid yesterday, even with the A/C cranked....

I used a 2 lb bag and a 1/2 cup from another bag. I found the icing to be VERY sweet, but it complimented my sugar cookies (which are more buttery tasting) quite nicely. You might be able to get by with only the 2 lb bag if you only need a runny consistency icing... or maybe you could add a tiny bit of cornstarch to thicken up your piping icing.

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks. I'm going to try it with the 2 lb. bag. I might even do some cookies with fondant too.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 15

The small 1 kg bags sold here in Canada are the exact amount you need,I don't know if they sell them in the US ...Probably not as Roger's sugar here in Canada is a Canadian company.It is about 7-8 level cups of icing sugar!!

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa053103

I have a question. Her recipe calls for 2.25 pounds of powdered sugar. In a bag of powdered sugar, it's only 2 pounds. Can I use the one bag or do I need the extra 1/4 pound. Mind you, I only have 1 bag and I don't have the time to go today to buy more sugar. Please help!!!!!

Ana

I've made it just using a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar and it worked fine. It probably doesn't get as stiff as it would otherwise but most of it I use for a flow consistency so that isn't a big deal. A bonus is that I don't have to add as much water to get it to the right consistency. HTH

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijohernandez

I just tried this recipe yesterday and I love it!!! It did take longer to dry than the Wilton recipe Royal Icing, but that also could have been because it was incredibly humid yesterday, even with the A/C cranked....

I used a 2 lb bag and a 1/2 cup from another bag. I found the icing to be VERY sweet, but it complimented my sugar cookies (which are more buttery tasting) quite nicely. You might be able to get by with only the 2 lb bag if you only need a runny consistency icing... or maybe you could add a tiny bit of cornstarch to thicken up your piping icing.

Just as Kiddiekakes mentioned, I wrote the recipe based on the 1 kilogram bags of icing sugar we get here in Canada. If you have 2lb. bags in the U.S. then just cut back a tablespoon or so of the water you use to thin it at the end.

And yes, humidity definitely affects both the runniness of this icing AND the drying time. Sometimes the air is so humid in the summer months that I hardly have to thin the thick icing out with water at the end. Just keep an eye on it and judge accordingly. In really humid areas, it's best to keep the cookies in an air-conditioned room if you can, even when drying....or just give them an extra 12-18 hours to dry more solid.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #12 of 15

I'm anxious to try this. Do most of you put the icing in bottles to apply? If so-- when the icing begins to harden in the bottle, do you just microwave to get it soft again? OK-- maybe a dumb question- just not sure.

Any hints?

lorijohernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijohernandez Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:24am
post #13 of 15

I put my piping icing in little parchment bags. When I am not using them, i put them in a container with a lid to keep them from drying out. I put the runny icing in squeeze bottles, the kind used for candy making. The icing in the bottles will stay good for weeks, but I do stir it gently before using if it has been sitting for more than an hour or so...

Thanks for the advice Antonia74! The cookies did dry well. And I like how they dry firm and solid, but not rock hard like the other Royal Icing recipes I have tried. I finally found my winner!!!!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #14 of 15

LOVE IT! This is the ONLY royal icing I have ever used on cookies and it was love at first pipe!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 15

I was so glad to see this thread. The RI recipe that I use is from Confetti Cakes and has egg whites in it. I love it, but have been concerned about the egg whites. I will have to try this one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%