Sheet Cake Questions

Business By Homemade-Goodies Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm by milissasmom

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

My baking pan size for 1/4 sheet cake is 8"x12" (21x30cm), 2" (5cm) deep. I usually make one batch of Magnolia Bakery Cupcake recipe (for example), split this and add filling or frosting. I consider serving slices 1.25"x2.75" (3x7cm), which for my pan size gives me 30 servings 2" (5cm) deep.

If I double the cake, I place the filling or frosting between the 2 cakes, and do not torte further, same serving dimensions, only deeper: approx 4" (10cm).

My particular problem is that I am stumped for how to price these. If I charge 2.00 a slice...which is fairer? The single batch, or double? How do I accommodate for the larger cake in pricing?

I tend to think that the single batch is the fairer in price - what do you guys think? This same batter makes 2-9" rounds, according to different pricing matrixes, this is enough for about 25 slices.

I appreciate anyone's help on this....I'm really stuck!! Thanks!!

5 replies
Homemade-Goodies Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:11am
post #2 of 6

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

My double-layer sheet cakes are priced the same as my wedding cake prices... $3.50.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 6

Each tier of your wedding cake is about 4" then? Do you only have the filling between the 2 cakes making up the tier, or do you torte each cake as well?

I'm just trying to be fair to a customer, don't want to be chintzy, just because I might not know....

I do appreciate your help! icon_biggrin.gif

AllCakedOut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllCakedOut Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 6

Dunno if this helps, but *every* cake I do I torted - 4", 4 layers cake, 3 filling. Wedding cake, birthday cake, "sheet" cake.. doesn't matter. All torted, all priced with the same base price.

I don't want to fuss with explaining why this cake is more because it's torted, but if you order a plain untorted sheet, it's cheaper (UGH!).. plus I never, ever want to be responsible for one of those monumentally tacky displays of cheapness.. small wedding cake (all fully torted), then nasty sheet cake for some guests.

If a bride wants sheet cake alongside her wedding cake from me, that's fine.. but it costs the same, and NO ONE will know it's sheet cake.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 6

All my cakes are torted as well...4 inch cake, split, filled and stacked...split cake, filling,cake, frosting, split cake, filling...I don't waiver from it. If it is a sheet cake, it is still torted and filled. It's just easier for me to do all mine the same way every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%