Red Icing Not Red Enough

Baking By razzledazzle06 Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm by Bijoudelanuit

razzledazzle06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
razzledazzle06 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5

I am making cookie icing but the red wilton food color I am adding to it is just turning it PINK. What do I need to do to make it RED-RED?
Sorry if this is stupid. I am new! TIA icon_sad.gif

4 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 5

I am no expert, but I swear by Americolor for red and black! Also, if you can, make your icing a day before. cover airtight and let set overnight and the color will deepen. I also have had success with coloring it first with pink gel, then adding the red. I learned that at our local cake store as a way to use less red and have it taste better. Others will have more info, but that is what I can think of as a fellow 'newbie'.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:19am
post #3 of 5

What works for me is to add a few drops of burgundy to the red (learned this tip from a Nicholas Lodge article) - if you look in my photos there are some reds which this technique produces. Not sure if these reds are dark enough for you (?). I've read on many posts here others add black (but I'm afraid of adding too much black).

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 5

You can use chefmaster liqua gel (super red) and it doesn't have to sit to turn red. It takes very little and turns red instantly. Same goes for the black.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 5

I use Wilton Red-Red... it takes a lot ( they say 1/2 tsp per cup of frosting!) but it does make a bright true red. I don't measure it, I just use a table knife to scoop it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%