Is The Sculptey Clay Extruder/gun Any Good?

Decorating By CharmingConfections Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 5:19am by TexasSugar

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 9

I bought it because the store was sold out of the Makin's (she said it was discontinued?!) and I am making pom pom cup cakes this week. But I'm thinking if it's no good I'll return it and order the Makin's or whatever you recommend online. Thanks!

8 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 9

Which one is it> The green tubey things with discs you drop in the bottom? If so, it fine, I use it all the time, but it doesn't hold as much as my pricier sugar gun.

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 9

If it's the little silver one with the interchangeable discs - it's a hand killer, but it will do the job. Keep your fondant a little on the soft side for easier use. Good luck!

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 9

Ok great, I'll give it a try! thanks guys!
What would I look up if I were going to invest in a pricier sugar gun?
Thanks~
CC

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 9

I have the shugarkraft squeeze extruder (red barrel, black squeeze handle), and the silver push extruder, and the Makin's® Professional⢠Ultimate Clay Extruder⢠(light green metal tube with "T" handle that you twist in order to extrude).

The best of the 3, without a doubt is the Makin's® Professional⢠Ultimate Clay Extruderâ¢. I get long, even extrusions without any hand pain and it comes apart easily for cleaning. I find the other 2 to be a waste of time, money, and energy.

I've been told that Michael's is no longer carrying it (they have a history of saying things are discontinued when, in fact, they're available elsewhere and for some reason, Michael's is no longer keeping it in stock).

You can usually find it at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby and at many polymer clay sites online.

http://www.theclaystore.com/pages-productinfo-product-745/makins-professional-ultimate-clay-extruder.html

HTH
Rae

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #6 of 9

The green one works ok - soften up your fondant a bit - 10 sec in the microwave - or it'll kill your hands.

I had the silver one, but after one use, the silvering on the inside came off in the extruded fondant. Yuck!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #7 of 9

Work some shortening into your fondant and it will come out easier.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:33am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

Work some shortening into your fondant and it will come out easier.

Definetly DO THIS - I figured this out right before I was ready to throw mine out. It's a hand killer if you don't. (I have the silver one)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:19am
post #9 of 9

The light green one is not carried at Michaels any more. But you can find it at Hobby Lobby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%