Help!!! I Need A Great Fondant Recipe!!! Who Has One????

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm by snowshoe1

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:56am
post #1 of 8

I want to cover a cake in fondant and then decorate with BC. I've tried the marshmallow fondant in the past and don't really like the flavor or result. Wilton has a bad taste too. Anyone have a great recipe they use? I'm not an expert but not a novice either. I don't have a good recipe but I do know how to work with it.
Thanks!!!

7 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:04am
post #2 of 8

Try this one, I've heard great things about it (great taste, easy workability):
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:15am
post #3 of 8

I alway us Michelle Foster's recipe here on CC.
It's great.

HTH

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:32am
post #4 of 8

Michele Foster Ultimate Fondant Recipe is the best. No fancy ingredients and easy to make either in your KA or by hand.

Just make sure you try and let it sit over night or at least 6 hours before you use it.

HTH

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 8

I found the recipe, seems simple enough but where do I get glycerin from? Can I make it a couple of days in advance and keep it refrigerated?

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 8

I posted the link for you in my last post. thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 8

You can get glycerin in the cake decorating section of Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and sometimes Wal-Mart. It comes in very small bottles, so you might want to get several.

A less expensive source is a health food store or pharmacy. They will have larger bottles at much better prices. You just have to ask for it. It is usually located in the "make your own lotion" section. In the pharmacy, be sure to let them know that you want vegetable glycerin. There is a petroleum based glycerin that you DON'T want. The petroleum based is pretty hard to get though. It's usually sold to businesses that use it as a heat transfer fluid. Sorry, too much information.

Anyway...you can also get gelatin in larger containers, also less expensively as some health food stores. This is usually in the aisle for strengthening fingernails.

The fondant will be good for several weeks at room temperature. Don't refrigerate it. The humidity in the fridge will ruin it. The sugar acts as a preservative as well as the fact that the milk is cooked prevents it from spoiling. If you need to keep it long term then wrap it very well and then place it in the freezer. When you need it, let it come to room temperature on it's own. If you nuke it to warm it quickly, then the sugar might crystallize and ruin your fondant. It usually will thaw within a few hours, but I like to set it out the night before I want to use it.

Thank you every one for your compliments on my recipe. They are greatly appreciated.

Michele

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 8

Here's another way to get good tasting fondant: Bkdcakes, a CC member, gave me the greatest tip on making fondant taste good (I've tried so many recipes and most folks still peeled it off). What she told me to do is to mix candy clay (aka modeling chocolate - recipe on this site) with fondant. I mixed white candy clay with Satin Ice and it was delicious. Its the first time everyone actually ate it and it was a dream to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%