Changing Royal Icing?

Decorating By JaneDee Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm by rwarhank

JaneDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneDee Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #1 of 9

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble for some reason making BC roses, I made really great RI roses last night but I didn't want to use them on the cake due Saturday because they don't want hard flowers.

Is there anything that I can add to a batch of RI that will make it get a little less hard but be about the same consistency and smoothness of RI??

Thank you!!!

8 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:25am
post #2 of 9

Have you tried adding meringue powder to your BC? It's a little like the best of both worlds icon_smile.gif

JaneDee Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:13am
post #3 of 9

Yes, I've been trying a ton of different BC recipes. Wiltons class BC, the Wiltons out of the can just melted before I even got the first petal on, I tried a really great BC recipe from a local bakery and the edges tore. Lately no matter what tip I use or how much I open the tip, or add karo syrup, piping gel, thin it, thicken it... the edges tear so bad that it ruins the rose. I don't mean little ridges at the top of the petals either, it's bad. I've gone down hill so much, it's really frustrating to practice.

icon_sad.gif

JaneDee Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #4 of 9

That's why when I did okay with the royal icing I was wondering if there was anything that would make it stay somewhat soft or something.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:31am
post #5 of 9

It sounds like maybe there isn't enough fatty fat in your bc icing. I always us whole cows milk and shortening with trans fats... I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and have never had a torn rose... Could you try switching your shortening brand?

I have no idea if there is something you can add to royal, I have never heard of it and grease makes it run rather than be a nice consistency...

JaneDee Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #6 of 9

Okay, yeah I used Indydebi's too. And they came out really good the first time, although the edges were still torn. Then I made a second batch and it was horrible, I couldn't make one single rose without it tearing apart.

Thank you for your tips!!

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 9

have you considered air-dried buttercream? Dries enough for you to pick-up with fingers but soft when cut. Recipe is here. I enjoyed using

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:17pm
post #8 of 9

have you considered air-dried buttercream? Dries enough for you to pick-up with fingers but soft when cut. Recipe is here. I enjoyed using

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #9 of 9

I'm curious about this too. I found the recipe for the air dried buttercream although I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2278-Airdried-Buttercream-Icing.html

I've had good luck with both the Wilton and indydebi recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%