How Far In Advance Can You Bake & Decorate?

Decorating By bjfranco Updated 28 Jan 2019 , 8:24pm by GimmiemoreCake

Bride2528 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bride2528 Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 12:47pm
post #61 of 69

AAdvice please.

I used wiltons fondant for my cakes that had a mousse filling. All was fine but I noticed as I was putting the decorations on the back of the cake looked as if it was bulging out. I touched it lightly and I could tell the mousse was pushing out and the fondant was soft and wet.

How could I get my fondant to not be affected by the filling? Should I not be using wiltons fondant and go back to making my own. I feel like home made is thicker and sturdier.

these were the mousse cakes I made for Sunday

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3082796/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Milliamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Milliamo Posted 20 Aug 2013 , 1:29pm
post #62 of 69

Hey,

So again, I'm not sure if its different with mousse, but I had a similar problem with my first buttercream cake, and now I refrigerate my cakes to make it almost hard so you can touch it without smudging it before I put the fondant on, that way it doesn't affect the fondant.  Also if its the centre filling that's coming out, then try to put less in, or put it not so close to the edges, so that when you sandwich it together it doesn't come out the sides - if that makes sense?!

With these cakes, if you're really worried you can remove the fondant and put a new layer on.  I've not worked with Wilton fondant, but maybe using it slightly thicker would help.

Does that help?  

miniash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniash Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 10:05am
post #63 of 69

Hi everyone,

Total amateur baker here. Hoping I can get an answer, 

I'm making my boyfriends birthday cake and his birthday is Sunday (12th april). I wondered if I can make it today (Friday 10th) 

What I need help with is… 

1) What's the best way to store fondant for 2 days? 

2) When should I make the buttercream and what's the best way to store it for 2 days? 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 11:36am
post #64 of 69

Official guidelines for refreezing...

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/frozen_food.html

visit.ks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visit.ks Posted 20 Mar 2017 , 6:30am
post #65 of 69

Hello everyone, I see lots of good suggestions coming from everyone. As I read this conversation, I have got an idea of baking a cake little ahead of time and then decorating. My question is that I want to do a whipped cream cake for Saturday afternoon, which is the best time to decorate the cake ? How long the whipped cream frosting will last in the refrigerator ? I checked so many other sites, but didn't get any proper answer. Please expert bakers, help me in this. I really appreciate. Thanks so much in advance.

IvelissesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IvelissesCakes Posted 19 May 2017 , 3:28pm
post #66 of 69

If I use syrup with Brandy... if I decorate on Friday is the cake good outside until Sunday?

cakesbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycheryl Posted 29 Oct 2017 , 3:40am
post #67 of 69

Ok I have a dilemma! I started making my cake on Friday for a Saturday delivery but then my customer told me she couldn't pick it up until Tuesday. How am I going to be able to keep the cake and buttercream fresh until Tuesday???

I am soooo nervous, the Buttercream is already starting to get really hard on the cake!!..Can anyone help me please??

Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 30 Oct 2017 , 3:47am
post #68 of 69

Cheryl, if it's a normal cake with American buttercream, with no other fillings, etc. that would be harmed by extreme cold, then I would have put the cake in the freezer until tomorrow or so. Not sure if it will make much of a difference now that it's Sunday night.

It's not ideal but it's better than delivering cake that's been sitting out or in a fridge for 4 or 5 days.

GimmiemoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GimmiemoreCake Posted 28 Jan 2019 , 8:24pm
post #69 of 69

Hello,

Has anyone frozen cakes filled and decorated with Swiss Meringue Buttercream? Any issues?

Thanks,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%