How To Make Fondant Look Like Aged Paper?

Decorating By Mystery Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 4:20am by tonedna

Mystery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystery Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 11

Is there any way I could make fondant look like aged paper?
I put some brown coloring in and ripped the edges, but it just doesn't look old. How could I give it that cracked look?
Thanks in advance!

10 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 11

When I did it before, I started with very thinly rolled ivory fondant and brushed on some pale yellow petal dust on the edges, and I tore it. You could also wait until the fondant gets to the "leather" stage and then manipulate it (fold, curl, whatever) to make sure that it cracks a little.

HTH,
Deanna

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 11

Anything like this spark an idea?

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:51am
post #4 of 11

I don't have any advice for the edges but if you wanted to make the fondant look like a crackled page then you could try the same technique that painters use to make a faux finish on walls.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:22am
post #5 of 11

For a retirement party I had to make a scroll, like a pirate's aged map. I used mexican vanilla to paint my dried fondant scroll, it gave the perfect old paper look, kind of mottled/dirty. HTH

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:30am
post #6 of 11

k8memphis, that cake is SO awesome!

I am new to using fondant & wanted to share that my fondant often looks cracked because I leave it out too long, mess with it too long, etc... maybe if you waited a little longer to roll it out, or didn't kneed it to that wonderful/playdoh softness - ? Hopefully my newby-nonsense will spark an idea. My other idea was if you pressed something onto it to give the edges a tattered look - maybe a textured papertowel or some sort of cloth. Sorry & hopefully something helps.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you.

Umm look closely at the corners especially, I rolled the fondant too small or I didn't place it good enough so I improvised. But that's how it came to look a little aged like that. May or may not be the type of 'aged' that OP, Mystery, is looking for but leaving it goofy on the edges worked for me. And then in the upper left corner it was real short of the corner and I tucked another 'page' under that and then just went the flow where it was ribbled around the edges of the fondant page. It just happened.

Edges of pages are done with a fork onto smbc, I didn't clean the fork tines just kept all the gooey on there.

Some aged thoughts for you.

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 11

As I was new to fondant when I was making a map and scroll; I tore the edges that I had started to cut-it looked great and totally by accident. For the coloring I brushed on cocoa powder as I had nothing else and that really helped age things.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #9 of 11

what about rice paper?

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:01am
post #10 of 11

I TAKE IT AND LAY THE FONDANT FLAT AND TAKE MY THUMB SMASH AND PULL OUTWARDS.I DO THIS ALL AROUND THE EDGES, THEN I TAKE BROWN AND GO AROUND THR EDGE THEN I COME BACK WITH MY BRUSH DIPED IN WATER AND THIN AROUND THE EDGETHEN I TAKE BROWN AND WATER AND BRUSH OVER THE HOLE THING,DONT RUB TO LONG IT WILL GET STICKY..ADD AND TAKE AWAY WITH WATER TILL YOU GET THE AGED LOOK..HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #11 of 11

I say use gumpaste or fondant with tylose ..tear the edges of the paper, you can even rolled them with a ball too and use petal dust to give some color to the edges.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%