Mmf Disaster, Help!

Decorating By misserica Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 12:33am by misserica

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 11

I dont know what I did wrong but I am stuck. I agreed to make a cake for a 4th of July party tomorrow and I made MMF for the first time. I know that was my first mistake! But it has bubbles in it and it will not smooth out, whats up with it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think I may have to start over but I really do not have time to bake 3 cakes again and go through the motions. HELP! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 11

Air bubbles? Have you taken a pushpin and poked a hole in the bubble and then tried to smooth it out?

Also, you don't have to rebake the cakes...if it's as bad as you feel, you can remove the fondant, maybe reice the cake, and then cover it again.

HTH!

misserica Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 11

The bubbles are open, it almost looks like a sponge, open bubbles and not smooth at all. I am not sure what went wrong with this. Needless to say, I may be making cupcakes instead. Either that or I am going to buy pre-made fondant.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 11

what about just peeling the MMF off and re-icing the cake in BC so you don't have to lose the cakes, too?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 11

Sounds like the cake pox icon_sad.gif .... if it is real bad I would recover.. don't give up.

What causes this is fondant that was either rolled out too thick or it was dry to begin with .. don't rebake..if you don't have time to get fondant just reice in BC and try again another time icon_smile.gif

Sorry it gave you trouble icon_sad.gif

misserica Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 11

wgoat5 is definitely looks like cake pox so funny! The cake is gone and I have replaced it with 60 mini cupcakes. No more MMF. I am wondering though if the temperature has a lot to do with it? My air conditioner is acting up and it was warm in here today, maybe that is why. In any event, cupcakes it is and as soon as I am done icing them in the morning I will take pictures. Hope everyone has a Happy 4th of July. And thank you for your advice.

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #7 of 11

This time of year when it is hot and humid I would say order Satin Ice from a source like Into The Oven online. It's such an easy product to work with, you don't have to make it and it tastes pretty good too.

Lovemypups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemypups Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 11

My first attempt at MMF did the same thing. The only change I have made is to roll it out on shortening (Crisco) instead of powdered sugar or cornstarch. It has made all the difference in the world. I don't know what you were using but that's my suggestion. This may sound stupid but I read somewhere else about MMF problems and it turned out she was using 10 oz packages of marshmallows thinking they were 16 oz. That would be an easy thing to do.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 11

I always get cake pox w/ MMF. Not sure what causes that; I always roll out with Crisco, so I don't think that's it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 11

That's what steered me away from it... I had the mixing of it down to a science.. and I could work with it.. but for some unknown reason it started misbehaving and I had to spank it several times LOL.. so I gave up and now use SI icon_smile.gif

misserica Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #11 of 11

I am not sure what went wrong. I do roll out on Crisco so that could not be it. And I used 16oz of marshmallow so that is not it either. I think I am going to order some of this Satin Ice, I have never tried it but I am going to now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%