What's The Best Way To Achieve This????

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm by Kiddiekakes

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 4

What is the best to use to get a nice deep navy blue color in fondant and RI? And a deep orange (cleveland brown's orange). I don't have an airbrush, so that's not an option this time around (though it IS on my wish list!!) It's for the police retirement cake I posted about in the "ideas" forum. The dept colors are navy blue, white and silver (i'll be using luster w/vodka for this one).

3 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 4

ok, y'all are gonna make me stomp my foot and pout like a little girl! LOL Surely I'm not the only one who's come across this issue. I want a nice deep true navy and a nice deep cleveland brown's orange. I have americolor gels, and access to wilton's too... What combo is going to work best?

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 4

To get navy blue I always make the white BC as dark as I can with blue color then add black until it is the right shade that I need. Warning though...it takes a lot of blue. As far as the orange goes wilton has a terra cotta color that might work if you lighten it a little or you could make a true orange BC then add brown or ivory a little at a time. Just be careful not to overdue it with the added dark colors.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 4

I like to add a bit of yellow to my oranges and reds as it gives it a bit of a brighter,sorta neon color...but not neon like you think!! I start with royal blue and add quite a bit of black to get navy but go back and add a bit of already made royal blue or sky blue.This will deepen the color but not make it look so matte.I do this all the time and my colors lighten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%