Tiered Cakes - Which Look Do You Prefer?

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm by arosstx

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #1 of 15

When it comes to stacked cakes, which do you think looks better - 3 inches between tiers (such as 6", 9" and 12") or 2 inches between tiers (6", 8", 10")?

Also do you think it makes a difference if the cakes are round or square?

I am ordering some cake dummies to decorate for a bridal show and can't decide which would look better.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

14 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #2 of 15

I love the 6,9,12 combo but if doing simple.. no border but maybe a ribbon and no scroll work.. perfect white /colored fondant or butter cream with a beautiful topper I'd do a 6, 8, 10 icon_smile.gif

Those are my opinions.. I'm scared to do wedding cakes but do party cakes many times in these sizes... I personally like the 3" difference .. so I can do bows.. but like the simplicity you can do with the 2 " lol.. I hope I am making sense LOL

Oh drat sorry for my rambling

cakesbycathy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #3 of 15

That makes sense to me. I think the border you're doing does make a difference on whether 2" or 3" looks better.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #4 of 15

I don't own any odd pans (no 9's) ... only even-numbered sizes ... so my cakes are either 2" diff or 4" diff. I prefer the look of a 4" diff, but have done a number of 2" diffs.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #5 of 15

My mom gave me my first set of pans... at 16 and they were 8, 9 and 10's lol... I am a cake pan freak.. not wilton types but the rounds and squares... I made tons of investments in the sizes.. but have yet to get the 1/2 pans... like the 1/2 16 and such. NEED to get.. if I ever do wedding cakes LOL

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #6 of 15

I am the goldilocks of tiered cakes. four inches looks too squatty, two inches too skinny, but three inches is juuuuust right

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #7 of 15

I like the 3" diff best

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:18am
post #8 of 15

i prefer 3 inch...

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 15

I think the 2" difference is more modern, and the 3" is more classic. But that's just me! icon_smile.gif

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:51am
post #10 of 15

to me a 2 inch difference looks more tower like, you cant see the graduation in the tiers very much, great for some simple designs. I prefer the 3 inch increment for most of my cakes. I also like the 4 if I am doing larger borders between the cakes, like fat balls or flowers all around.

cakebaker111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker111 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #11 of 15

In culinary school I was told to do it in 3 and I think it loks best.

cakesbycathy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

I am the goldilocks of tiered cakes. four inches looks too squatty, two inches too skinny, but three inches is juuuuust right

This just made me laugh!! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your opinions. I will probably end up ordering a set of each. icon_rolleyes.gif
Anyone know how the shipping is for Dallas Foam? Or would it be cheaper to order from Global Sugar Art (want to support CC but am on a major budget)?

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:30pm
post #13 of 15

cakesbycathy,

I haven't ordered mine yet..and they are just around the corner from me but have you prices checked:

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 15

cakesbycathy,

I haven't ordered mine yet..and they are just around the corner from me but have you priced checked:

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/cakedummies.html

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 15

I think I'm w/ txkat - 3" looks best to me. Depends on the style. The more traditional styles look good w/ 4", the more modern designs seem to lean toward the 2".

I have a 9" pan, and just yesterday ordered a 7" pan - such a weird size to me, but I do a lot of 6"/10" stacks and sometimes I need those extra servings that could come from having a 7" instead. I also have a 4" that I use for smash cakes (baby cakes for 1yr olds), so I guess technically now I could do a 4/7/10! Sounds weird to me! icon_smile.gif Hey, whatever works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%