Whats The Largest?

Decorating By TexasTam Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm by snarkybaker

TexasTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasTam Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 11

amount of BC you have had to use on a cake?

I just made 8 lbs of BC for wedding cake. Hope that is enough or I will be making more.

10 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #2 of 11

I normally fill my 6 quart mixer 3-4 times a day...I had to make 600 cupcakes once. I went through a LOT of buttercream!! (and my wrist hurt for three days!)

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #3 of 11

We make 40-ish qts of buttercream on a Monday or Tuesday, and 60-80 qts on a Friday or Saturday.

We just made a cake that was 4 8X5 inch cakes with an 18 inch, 15 inch, 13 inch, 10 inc and 7 inch cake...all 5 inches tall, and that cake took about 30 qts.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #4 of 11

no way I can compete with txkat's operation icon_lol.gif , but when I make batches of icing, I usually make a minimum batch using 14 lbs of p.sugar (sometimes 21 or 28 lbs), then store it in a container and use it all week (or just all weekend, depending on the number of cakes).

I never measure or weigh my icing so I've no idea how much I use per cake. I only know how many 2-lb bags (or the equivalent of) that I need per wedding cake.

TexasTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasTam Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:02am
post #5 of 11

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif Good Lord..txkat...that is alot of BC.

I guess I better get a beating up some more then. I have never made a wedding cake so wasn't sure how much to make up I started today with 8 boxes of powdered sugar that is how I got my weight...does this make sense? Anyway, I think I will be running my KA again tomorrow for more.

snarkybaker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #6 of 11

Our buttercream is very fluffy:
12 qts. of buttercream has 7 lb of sugar, 4 lb of butter, just under 2 lb of egg whites, plus 10-12 oz of **Magic**, so it's not product rich.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:59am
post #7 of 11

my batches have 20 pounds of powdered sugar, 6 pounds of butter, 6 pounds of shortening vanilla and flavorings and water...that'll whoop up to about 30 quarts, i'll use about 1.5 batches on friday...and 2-3 batches on saturday...if i've been zealous and took to many orders ...i've had to make more

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:12am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

12 qts. of buttercream has 7 lb of sugar, 4 lb of butter, just under 2 lb of egg whites, plus 10-12 oz of **Magic**, so it's not product rich.

"Magic", eh? What aisle would I find that in? icon_wink.gif

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 11

I'm doing a 12", 10", 8" and 6" square tier wedding cake, plus an 8" square groom's cake, and a 8" square kitchen cake all iced in buttercream and it's going to take me 10 2 lb. bags of powdered sugar. I'll probably have a little left over for cupcakes as I always make some extra so that I don't have to make more in the middle.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

I think that is in Diagon Alley. icon_lol.gif (for all of you Harry Potter fans).

snarkybaker Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

my batches have 20 pounds of powdered sugar, 6 pounds of butter, 6 pounds of shortening vanilla and flavorings and water...that'll whoop up to about 30 quarts, i'll use about 1.5 batches on friday...and 2-3 batches on saturday...if i've been zealous and took to many orders ...i've had to make more

It looks like your doing about the same amount that we are. I just can't make that much at a time. We have trouble keeping the batch we make from flying out of the hobart when we add the cooked syrup.

Quote:
Quote:

We learned to make it in potions class
icon_biggrin.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%