Something That's Never Been Asked Ever!!!!

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm by MacsMom

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 13

I lied. Just wanted you to read this and hopefull help me out. I love using the bax mixes for my cakes. But when I wanna do a tall cake ( more than 3 layers in a tier), the boxed ones always cut really crumbly. Is there anything I can do for it to be less crumbly... I don't wanna stop using them because everyone like the flavor so much. I have never had a complaint. But everything I have done is with friends or people from church. So I think they all might be scared to hurt my feelings. But even thought the crumbles may not bother them it bothers me. icon_razz.gif

12 replies
BellaSweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 13

I guess lying doesn't get much huh?? icon_twisted.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 13

Do you add the box of pudding and extra egg to them? I don't think mine are crumbly...they are very moist though...

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 13

try using the cake mix enhancer in the recipe section or try the white almond sour cream cake. They both use mixes as the base and then add ingredients that make it more moist and much more durable, stackable and not crumbly. thumbs_up.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 13

I agree with 2sdae. I use the white almond sour cream cake also. It works great and everyone loves it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 13

Put the cakes in the refrigerator or even the freezer before torting them. BIG differencE!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 13

I love box mixes, but NEVER make them per the instructions on the box anymore, even for just a just because no decoration cake. Here's what I use:

1 box cake mix (any flavor - even ones w/pudding added)
1 box pudding mix (same or complimentary flavor to cake mis - 4 serving size box)
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. water or milk
1 c. sour cream
4 eggs

I have started sifting my cake mix & pudding mix together before adding other ingredients. Mix all together one low (1 on the KA) for about 30 secs, then scrap down bowl and mix on 2 for about 3 minutes. Into the pan, (greased w/my homemade pan release - no parchment paper), then i bang the heck out of the pan on the counter and give it a spin. Depending on the size of the pan, I might have greased a rose nail or two and put those in before pouring the batter in. Bake at 325*, time varys depending on size of pan. I get a nice moist, yummy cake, that bakes evenly with very little or no holes that is dense enough to handle carving and/or stacking, very little crumbs. I get just as many compliments on the taste of the cake as I do the design.

BellaSweet Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 13

Wowsers!! Thanks guys. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 13

I have to agree with the WASC recipe (modify for any flavor cake).

When I need to carve a topsy-turvy, I just add melted chocolate to the batter. (12 oz for the full WASC recipe, 6oz for a single cake recipe).

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 13

Check the side panel of the box for making pound cake with the mix. I know that Duncan Hines has the instructions, and it will give you a sturdier cake to work with. It's not that different from the regular instructions, and if I had a box with me, I could check. Oh well. Good luck!

eiyapet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eiyapet Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:51am
post #11 of 13

My big problem is my cakes are usually too moist for stacking and carving/sculpting and they tend to sink and bulge (I use DH too). Does the pound cake modification help with that too, or just crumbles?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:14am
post #12 of 13

that is more a stability issue and a letting it sit and settle issue not really a recipe issue. The bulging and sinking, unless it's under cooked.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

that is more a stability issue and a letting it sit and settle issue not really a recipe issue. The bulging and sinking, unless it's under cooked.

Ditto. I press down on my cakes when they come out of the oven and I let them sit in the fridge overnight after I've crumb-coated them so there is time for any settling to occur with the filling. If there is any bulging, I can fix it before I cover the cake with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%