Cake Syrup

Baking By BeesKnees578 Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm by TC123

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 6

I am interest in learning about the use of cake syrups. I have made two different recipes. . .one being very thick & syrup-y and one being very liquid-y. the recipe for the liquid one said to pour all of the syrup over the punctured cake in intervals until it was gone. . .it got really soggy on the bottom. i guess that could've been prevented by doing in on a cooling grid. i would've flipped it, but it was a bundt.

anyway, how much do you use per recipe. what are some good flavor combos to pair with a white cake. . .just vanilla, or a hint of citrus or what??? very curious to hear from those who do this.

thanks a mil
brooke

5 replies
mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 6

Brooke,
I brush mine on with a pastry brush - I just go over two or three times. I don't really know how much I use. I make a single recipe at a time - 1 cup sugar to 1 cup water and unless I'm making a multi-tiered cake I don't run out.
I've mixed vanilla, almond, lemon, orange and amaretto extracts in for white cakes, kahlua is my personal favorite mixed in for chocolate cakes.

Good Luck!
~Jen

aandsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandsmommy Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 6

I do the same icon_smile.gif.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

I use Torani Syrups... they come in so many flavors..

And I use a small spray bottle for easy, even application. icon_smile.gif

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 6

thanks a lot. . .much more simple than i was anticipating!

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 6

Hi! I use the same basic recipe as mjballinger. I use either a pastry brush or a spray bottle to apply. I do not puncture the cakes first, as you were instructed to do. And I kind of "guess" when it's enough.

You'll probably see a lot of different opinions and methods of use from other CC members. It's kind of "one of those things" that people use a little differently. Keep in mind also that different recipes come out with different degrees of moist-/dryness. So how much you use will depend on that as well.

Best of luck to you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%