Cutting Cakeboards To Accommodate Icing?

Decorating By PennySue Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 5:23am by PennySue

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 9

How much bigger should I cut a square cakeboard to accommodate for the icing? This is for a four tiered cake.

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 9

Just use the bottom of the pan as a guide.

PennySue Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 9

The last time I did that, the icing totally went over the edge if you know what I mean. I ended up re-cutting boards a little bit bigger but then they were too big. I don't think that these cakes will have a piped border, which if they did would make this question moot.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 9

I always cut mine to the size of the cake itself (no icing). Alot of my cakes have teeny tiny borders so I don't want the board to show. When I cut it to the cake size, I can use my bench scraper perfectly straight up and down to smooth over the icing.

I use Magic Line pans, and I have found that they baked cake upon cooling is exactly 1/4" smaller than the pan size....for example, a 10" pan yields a 9 3/4" cake in diameter.

I had hubby cut me a whole bunch of masonite circles and squares to 1/4" less than the pan size. I use the masonite as a guide to trim my boards, and also to cut parchment paper for the bottom of my pans, makes it quick and easy. He also punched a hole in the very middle of the masonite circles so it's very quick to use it as a guide to punch the middle of my cake board EXACTLY centered when using the SPS system. (Sometimes I'm a hair off when I use the plate itself).

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 9

What i do is ice the cake first then cut around with some scissors. It may take a little practice to hold in one hand while cutting with the other, but it works perfectly for me.
hth

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 9

As vdrsolo stated , cakes shrink a little while baking. So the board size has to be somewhat less than the pan size.The way she explained it is very clear.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 9

couturecakecreations--

Don't you get small cardboard fibers in your icing doing it that way? If I am understanding correctly, then you don't have a completely covered cardboard. The edges of the cardboard are bare and then covered in icing. Thanks!

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 3:49am
post #8 of 9

I have never had a problem with cardboard pieces being in my icing but I do feel that is a good question to raise. Tonight I actually cut around the iced cake with an exacto knife. it was a lot easier and leaves a vary clean edge. no cardboard pieces.

PennySue Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 5:23am
post #9 of 9

I can just see myself trying to cut around the cake with an exacto. But...I will give it a try. Oh wait, I typically double my cardboard for 8" and up. I wonder how that will work. I'll try it and let you know. Melissa, your cakes are lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%