Need A Caramel Icing Recipe

Baking By tippyad Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm by ngfcake

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 11

I'm looking for a caramel icing recipe that doesn't crust too quick. I'd like to be able to smooth it. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but I thought one of you might have luck w/ a particular recipe. Any suggestions?

10 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 11

Do you have a regular/vanilla bc that you like to use? If so, just sub the water/milk with caramel coffee syrup from Torani or DaVinci. I use it in my usual bc & it is fabulous, especially on a chocolate cake! icon_biggrin.gif

tippyad Posted 1 Jul 2008 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdcakes

Do you have a regular/vanilla bc that you like to use? If so, just sub the water/milk with caramel coffee syrup from Torani or DaVinci. I use it in my usual bc & it is fabulous, especially on a chocolate cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, I'll try that!

tippyad Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:

I substituted my water mixture w/ Vanilla Caramel from Nestle's Coffee-mate. YUM!!! Thanks again!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 11

I have made the caramel from a can of sweetened condensed milk, I did it stovetop in a pot, rather than boiling the whole can.

then added the cooled caramel to IMBC until I liked the flavor.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyad

Quote:

I substituted my water mixture w/ Vanilla Caramel from Nestle's Coffee-mate. YUM!!! Thanks again!

That sounds divine! I always forget the Coffee-mate!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 11

I make the caramel recipe from the CMD book. The one she uses on the Banana cake, The trick to having it come out smooth is not to cook butter and sugar longer than 2 or 3 minutes. remove from heat then add milk and cook another 2 minutes. It comes out smooth. Ater I spread between the first layer, I put the bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds,beat a little more then pour the rest over the cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 11

I love making caramel SMBC. I used to make it with brown sugar in place of the white sugar, but now I add homemade caramel to my basic SMBC. It is SUPER caramel-y that way. On a banana cake it is to DIE for.

You could use caramel sundae topping, but it's not as good IMHO. icon_smile.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 11

Hi
Jkalman, I've never used SMBC before but I really want to give it a try. Do you make your SMBC as told in the recipes here and then you add more caramel? Sounds delicious but, isn't that too sweet?
Can I use this caramel SMBC with the VIVA method?
Thanks

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 11

That's exactly what I do.. and no it's not too sweet. You are starting with SMBC which isn't overly sweet to begin with, so adding a bit of caramel to it doesn't make it cloying at all. You can also sub packed brown sugar for the white sugar and get a nice caramel flavor too.

SMBC doesn't crust so you can't use the viva or any of those methods to smooth it. But it is very easy to get smooth with a spatula and a bench scraper.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you very much! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%