Rice Krispie Treats And Fondant

Decorating By jukesbox Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 4:17am by Texas_Rose

jukesbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jukesbox Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a golf ball on top of a 10" round tomorrow morning. I made the golf ball with rice krispie treats and am going to cover it with white fondant. Do I need to cover the rice krispie ball with BC before I cover it with fondant? or will it be sticky enough for the fondant to stick?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

6 replies
asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #2 of 7

I have done a few things with RKT and I have always put a layer of BC on. I just think it helps get a smoother finish to the fondant.

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:36am
post #3 of 7

I just made a guitar cake last weekend and made the entire neck of the guitar in rice krispies treats. I iced it first and then covered in fondant. Worked great.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #4 of 7

I use almond bark or the appropriate colored candy melts on my rkt's before covering with fondant.

I make my shape, then coat with the melted stuff, fill in all the nooks and crannies. Let it dry, then do it again. then I use a hot dry spatula and smooth whatever rough spots are left. before covering with fondant.

RKT's will not last long with a buttercream covering, it starts to break down and will not hold the shape as long. Depending on when you are delivering it, this may not be a problem at all. The candy melts keep the rkt's fresh, keep them in place, and give you a nice firm surface to put your fondant on.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #5 of 7

I put the rice krispies in the blender and grind them up before I make the RKT, then just stick the fondant directly on, and it's smooth enough and sticky enough.

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:12am
post #6 of 7

yeah but, do you ever find with crushing/blending them up that a)you have to use more, and B)they become heavier because they are more dense/compact?
atleast that seems to me what would be the first things to happen.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:17am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercream_dreams

yeah but, do you ever find with crushing/blending them up that a)you have to use more, and B)they become heavier because they are more dense/compact?
atleast that seems to me what would be the first things to happen.

It does come out heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%