Giant Cookie Cake Questions

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm by Hawkette

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #1 of 10

I need to make a giant cookie to feed about 22 adults. Has anyone ever seen a serving size chart for cookies? How would you cut one? I've never made one before, but I have a test one in the oven right now. In case it doesn't come out, anyone have any tips they would like to share on how to bake these things? I'm feeling rather clueless. Thanks so much!

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #2 of 10

I've never seen a serving chart for cookies...when I make a big cookie, I use the toll house recipe, and I usually get 24 large cookies out of it, so I think it would serve 20 people at least.

When I bake them, I line the pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick spray. I bake it at 325 and take it out when it's still a little soft in the center, let it sit until completely cool, and then peel the foil off.

Hawkette Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #3 of 10

Thanks, Texas Rose. Are you referring to the recipe on the back of the bag of Toll House Chocolate Chips or the bucket of cookie dough? What size do you make? Thank so much!

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:11am
post #4 of 10

Just the recipe...the one with 1 cup margarine, 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 2 1/4 cups flour and a bag of chocolate chips. I've made it so many times I have it memorized icon_biggrin.gif

What I usually make is a big heart cookie in a wilton cookie pan. I think a 12" round would work well too.

Hawkette Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:20am
post #5 of 10

Thanks, Texas Rose!

I had a tub of dough in the refrigerator, so I just followed the directions on the tub tonight to see if I could make one and transfer it without breaking it all to pieces. It went well. My only complaint is that the outside edges (maybe the outside 1/4) were a bit crunchy compared to the soft texture of the rest of the cookie. Perhaps it was the dough, and when I make it from scratch I won't have that problem, but I'm not sure. I followed the directions I saw on this site for shaping the dough into a circle on a cookie sheet, then using a cake circle to cut away the crust after baking. I baked it at 375 for 21 minutes. Even with the crust cut away, the edges were a bit too crunchy for my taste. Any suggestions?

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:32am
post #6 of 10

Listen to Texas_Rose, she said everything I was going to..... except after your last comment, I thought I'd let you know that my husband likes cookies almost burnt, and I like them soft... so maybe it's the best that it turned-out that way - keep every one happy! You can also use one of those strips that you soak & then wrap around the cake pan - if you have them, or if you don't then cover the edges of the pan with some tin foil - sort of like a pie crust shield. Good luck with it!

Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #7 of 10

I would have baked it at 325. For some reason, things baked in a pan with edges are softer than things baked on a cookie sheet (think biscuits icon_biggrin.gif) so that might make a difference too.

Hawkette Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:41am
post #8 of 10

Oh sorry, that was a typo. I did bake it at 325. icon_smile.gif

Good point about the edges, Texas Rose. I appreciate all your help.

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #9 of 10

Well, if you are planning on decorating this cookie, you could put a shell border on the edges. This will help with the crunchiness. Plus, the fat in the icing will help to soften the edges a little bit as well.

And as others have said, everyone likes cookies differently. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

Gen

Hawkette Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 10

Hah -- my son saw it this morning and just couldn't wait to dive in, so we had cookie for breakfast. Overnight the edges softened, and now it's just right. I did put a border on it last night, so maybe that helped. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%