Need Help With This Customers Order Anybody?????

Decorating By apetricek Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 5:26am by JanH

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 18

Hi guys I just received an email from a potential customer that was referred from one of my regulars...ok here goes. She wants me to make a cake for her, seems easy hun? Well apparently her daughter is allergic to ALL dairy products including eggs, butter, chocolate, milk, basically anything that has to do with dairy. YIKES!!!! icon_cry.gif Has anyone ever made a cake/icing like this? I always hate taking on the allergy order, but also hate to turn an order down. My icing is almost all butter and milk...what the heck should I do? Any ideas or suggestions I would GREATLY APPRECIATE!!!! Thanks in advance! thumbs_up.gif

17 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 18

I know rich's bettercreme says it's NON-DAIRY...wonder if she can have that?? It's delicious!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 18

Can you just make an all crisco buttercream?

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 18

If you use all crisco and then add butter flavoring and use water instead of milk. Or can you use coffee creamer, some of those are non dairy?

mad11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad11 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 18

I have a niece who is severly allergic to dairy products. She can do an all crisco icing. They actually have a crisco that comes in butter type measurements where I live. I sub the butter in all recipes I cook for her with this. She's not allergic to eggs though, so I don't know how you would work around that one. There are cake recipes that do not call for milk products, but I don't know of one that doesn't require eggs.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 18

You might search for vegan cake & icing recipes. I think GrammaG just posted a really good recipe on the cupcake thread.

HTH

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 18

There are vegan cake recipes on the web if you search for them. There is a good vanilla one that has vinegar in the recipe.

Good luck!

All Crisco frosting? Yuck!

dawncr Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 18

Click on the "Search" tab at the top of the page and search for VEGAN. There are several recipes, and a few excellent threads. Here's one.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/vegan-wedding-cake-ftopicp-5922510.html#5922510

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 18

Agree on the vegan recipes. I had to come up with a vegan dessert for an attendee at one of my fraternity gigs. The one I found was delicious! I made him cupcakes and we all sampled one. I was very impressed with the texture, moisture level, taste, everything. If I hadn't made it myself, I never would have known it was vegan.

Unfortunately I didn't save the recipe electronically, which means I'll never find taht piece of paper in my pile of paper that dominates and grows daily on my desk!!!!

dawncr Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 18

Just a thought:

You might check to see if you can use cocoa powder in your cake. It may be that she's only allergic to milk chocolate or other chocolate that has had milk solids added to it.

That is, *if* she even likes chocolate cake. (Can't imagine who wouldn't!)

Sorry to keep hogging your thread. Trying to help on something I actually know a little about. icon_redface.gif

Let us know how it goes.

capitts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
capitts Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 18

This recipe is from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero by way of CHOW.com:

Basic (Vegan) Chocolate Cupcake
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.

Variation:Cookies ânâ Cream Cupcakes (pictured): Mix into cupcake batter 1 cup (about 10 cookies; chop first, then measure) of coarsely chopped vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, like Newman-Oâs. Bake as directed.

Fluffy Vegan Buttercream:

1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine, we use Earth Balance
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer

Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.

Variation:Cookies ânâ Cream Frosting (pictured): Stir into frosting 1/2 cup (about 5 cookies; mash first, then measure) of finely mashed vegan chocolate cream-filled sandwich cookies, like Newman-Oâs. Frost cupcakes generously, and top each cupcake with half of a sandwich cookie.

HTH!

Link(s):
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10794 cupcake
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10856 frosting

monkeegurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeegurl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 18

Both of my children are allergic to dairy and eggs. I use all shortening and cocoanut milk in the frosting. I use an egg replacer and cocoanut milk in the cake, too. It's really good in a chocolate cake, it gives a slight cocoanut taste.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 18

You can buy cake mixes for people who are intolerant to dairy, egg and wheat. The brand is called Cherrybrook Kitchen, I can buy it in a regular grocery store where I live but I'd imagine you could get it in Whole Foods if you can't find it in your supermarket. There is a website, www.cherrybrookkitchen.com

tamrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamrick Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #14 of 18

Here is a link to a vegan chocolate cake made with beets.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/02/cant-be-beet-chocolate-cake.html

hth

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:38am
post #15 of 18

I was actually on CC to post a new topic about some amazing cupcakes I made today using an egg-less recipe on this site. I've never tasted anything so good! All it takes is a cake mix and 12 oz. of diet soda...I used diet 7-up. I had some extra cupcakes left over and I ate every one!!! And I actually think that someday I'll loose weight...hahahaha!! Here's the link....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2090-13-Diet-Soda-Cake.html

dawncr Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #16 of 18

Launa, Thanks for bringing that recipe to my attention. I don't know how I missed it!

I could have my two favorite food groups, chocolate cake and Diet Coke, together in the same bite. Yum!

Of course, the combo is best eaten for breakfast. (You think I'm kidding, don't you? icon_wink.gif )

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:14am
post #17 of 18

Hey dawncr I'm right there with you!!! I'm sipping on my diet coke as we speak! I tell you, that's the best recipe....it ranks right up there with the WASC cake which is my favorite.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:26am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I know rich's bettercreme says it's NON-DAIRY...wonder if she can have that?? It's delicious!

Rich's Bettercreme ingredients:

High fructose corn syrup, water, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains less than 2% of the following: Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative), soy protein concentrate, polysorbate 60, carbohydrate gum, sugar, salt, artificial flavor, soy lecithin, polyglycerol esters of fatty acids, to preserve freshness (potassium sorbate), xanthan gum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmom2boys

Or can you use coffee creamer, some of those are non dairy?

What's in popular liquid non-dairy creamers:
(Also contains Sodium Caseinate - a milk protein that gives flavor and texture.)

http://www.chow.com/stories/10969

Coffee-Mate powdered creamer also includes Sodium Caseinate:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EMPMTS/?tag=cakecentral-20

What to avoid if you have a milk allergy:
(One of the ingredients IS sodium caseinate.)

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/milk-allergy

Misleading labeling:

(Nondairy products that contain sodium caseinate will be requiried to say that the casein is derived from milk. "Nondairy might be misleading," Ms. Campbell said. "It can be a problem for people who are milk sensitive.")

http://tinyurl.com/644gr3

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%