Its Really Happening.....(Long)

Decorating By roseyrider Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm by roseyrider

roseyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseyrider Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys, I am looking for a bit of encouragement here. I have been charging for my cakes for a year now and decided I wanted to move the business out of home. I found the perfect premises at the perfect price and have picked up a lot of equipment rather cheaply at auctions and closing down sales. I am sure that I comply to health codes (they are not as stringent here - infact they really just wanted to make sure I had a double sink to wash up, so I think my standards are higher than theirs!)Now the landlord just contacted me for all my details for the lease agreement and all of a sudden it seems so real! I am shaking in my boots...can I really do this?! Is my work good enough?! Am I doing the right thing?! I should mention that my "Weekends only" business has generated enough income to more than cover my rental and electricity expenses. I guess I am just looking for someone who has done it to give a bit of advice...I want to sell to walk ins as well as take orders, what time do u start baking, how do you determine what quantities to make etc.? Also, do you really need a humidifier in your oven or will a straight convection do? (Those things are expensive!)
Thanks for any input,
Michelle

3 replies
Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 4

Well I just sell out of my home so I'm not sure about the how to's and how much's. I did look at your photos though and I can't see why they wouldn't sell especially if they have their glasses on. icon_biggrin.gif I think it would be natural to be nervous though unless you had already done this. I wish you good luck and hope you sell many, many, many cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 4

I can't help on the business advice but I took a look in your gallery and your cakes are AMAZING. If I were you, I'd be encouraged that you already know you can cover many expenses through your current "weekend" work, and you are bound to only increase business with the added visibility of your shop! I would definitely buy your cakes!! icon_smile.gif Go for it!!!!!!!! Do it for all of us who can only dream of opening our own shop one day. icon_smile.gif

roseyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseyrider Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys, feeling better already.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%