Placing A Cake On A Plateaus

Decorating By charman Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm by indydebi

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a 4 tier wedding cake on Saturday, and putting it on a silver plateaus...do I put the cake on a regular cake board, and then just set it up on it, or do I put a cardboard disk, and then the cake directly on that?

That makes me nervous in transporting it, etc. The bottom layer is 12 inches, I was thinking of put it on a board a little bigger...wrapped in silver foil, and then setting that directly on the cake stand...will that work?

HELP! First time doing this obviously! icon_cry.gif Very nervous!
Thanks in advance

8 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 9

My plateau says NOT to place food directly on it (which makes total sense), so I put the cake on a board, wrap it in silver paper (to match the plateau) and then hot glue a ribbon around the edges of the board. So when I set up I put the all ready assembled cake on the plateau.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 9

I would do a cake board/drum just like you would normally do, then sit it on the plateau.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 9

I have seen it used different ways, a cake drum the same size and color of the Plateau, so it blends with it or a cake drum a little smaller.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/713888744_e85283cacc.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/717600909_e6dae8df10.jpg?v=0

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 9

What I normally do is put the cake on a cardboard round, then put the round onto a larger masonite board. Take it to the site on the masonite board and use a spatula to guide the cake onto the plateau and off the masonite. I like the appearance that it is sitting on the plateau more than the drum on the plateau, but the pictures Maria posted are quite nice looking.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

What I normally do is put the cake on a cardboard round, then put the round onto a larger masonite board. Take it to the site on the masonite board and use a spatula to guide the cake onto the plateau and off the masonite. I like the appearance that it is sitting on the plateau more than the drum on the plateau, but the pictures Maria posted are quite nice looking.

I think this method would look much better, but use formcore instead of cardboard, because the cardboard might buckle from the weight of the cake, formcore won't, light but very sturdy.

But I'm no expert... icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 9

I am assuming you won't have the plateau ahead of time? (I own my plateaus and set the cake (on cardboard) on the plateau before I deliver.) But yes, put it on a sturdy cake board for transport and place it on the plateau when you get there, if you don't have it ahead of time.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I am assuming you won't have the plateau ahead of time? (I own my plateaus and set the cake (on cardboard) on the plateau before I deliver.) But yes, put it on a sturdy cake board for transport and place it on the plateau when you get there, if you don't have it ahead of time.

What do you do to prevent sliding? Do you put a non-slip pad between the plateau and cardboard to drive it there?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

What do you do to prevent sliding? Do you put a non-slip pad between the plateau and cardboard to drive it there?

Good 'ole duct tape!! icon_biggrin.gif I roll a piece of it up and tape it to the underside of the cake-cardboard and attach it to the plateau! That sucker is going NOWHERE!! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%