What's The Best Way To Do This Cake?

Decorating By kaymak Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm by snowshoe1

kaymak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaymak Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 5

I need to do a cake like this, but Iâm not sure the best way to go about it. Would it be easier to bake several of the same size layers & carve them, or bake different size layers? Iâm thinking probably to carve it, which Iâm nervous about doing because I havenât done that before and Iâm afraid of cutting too much off one side and it not looking right . And Iâm guessing itâs best to chill the cakes & then carve? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
LL

4 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 5

Looks like its a slight slant on the cake so IMO you're better off making cakes all the same size, stacking, and carving. A great recipe to use for carving cakes is on this site (look in the recipe section for the Durable cake). You could make a template to be sure you don't carve off too much - and obviously just carve a little at a time. As you mention, chill your cake first and use a sharp serated knife. Best of luck - look forward to seeing your photo!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 5

I agree. I would start with all cakes the same size and then freeze and carve. Doesn't look to hard. icon_biggrin.gif

kaymak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaymak Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks!! Wish me luck. icon_biggrin.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 5

I don't think you need any luck - you make fantastic looking cakes!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%