Cookie Icing?

Baking By AmyCakes2 Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm by Aliwis000

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #1 of 8

Ok, you cookie experts....I find myself entering a "cookie phase" and would like an icing that would 1) dries nicely to cover (thus no bc) and 2) isn't extremely hard (like RI).
Any links or info is greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif
Thanks!

7 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:40am
post #2 of 8

I use thinned royal icing. It has a slight crunch but isn't hard. Thinning it down with water means that you can put on a thinner layer of the royal. I like it better than anything else I've tried. I have cookie pics in my photos that are all done with royal.

I haven't tried it myself, but a lot of people also like Toba Garrett's glace.

Deanna

kdehtan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdehtan Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:03am
post #3 of 8

I like to use a Meringue Powder Buttercream recipe I got from www.Karenscookies.net. She has several recipes on her site. This recipe is AWESOME and easy to work with. I thin it out to make a glaxe and use it thick for designs. It tastes YUMMY and I have gotten so many compliments on it.
Hope this helps!!

Karee

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 8

I use a modified version of Toba's Glace Icing. It is also the same ingredient proportions you'll find in Wilton's Poured Cookie Icing. (Or is it "Shiny cookie icing"?) Anyway, it's just equal parts corn syrup and milk mixed into powdered sugar. The only modification I used (other than the quantities) is I add brite white food color. I find that this helps keep the icing from getting spots when it gets cold.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 8
chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 8

I like to cover my cookies with MMF. My husband and I did a taste test and prefer it to RI. It's quick, and gives a nice smooth base to decorate on with RI. Plus, you don't have to wait for it to dry.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 8

I'm not a fan of RI on cookies. Blech. I love the taste of fondant (good fondant, mind, not Wilton) on cookies, but mostly I use Alice's cookie icing. It floods like Royal, dries hard enough to stack, but is soft when you bite into it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1961-Alices-Cookie-Icing.html

Has a nice buttery taste, and makes bright colours, too. The flower cookies in my pics are done with Alice's.
LL

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 8

chocolateandpeanutbutter I love your flowers!! So bright and colorful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%