Berries On Buttercream

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 4:30am by soygurl

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

So I am going to try to attach a copy of the picture the bride sent me. She would really like to keep the fruit on the cake. But I am worried that the fruit will not last or will 'bleed/run' into the buttercream icing or will be to wilted by then. We do not have the best fruit selection at the best of times. If I were able to find great fruit how would I be able to keep it fresh and have it not ruin my icing. Or do you think that there are some fake fruit that I could get from a craft store. Or would that look cheap?

Thanks,
Janice
LL

7 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 8

I have heard you wait till the very last minute to place the fruit... or you will get weepage (word? LOL)

I just seen at Michaels the most real looking strawberries icon_smile.gif so probably they have a bunch of other realistic looking fruits... Also try places like Kirklands icon_smile.gif

matwogirls Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Christi, I apreciate replying so fast. So, anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Janice

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 8

What does the bride want? Is she going to freak if they are not real? If she is ok with it, then go for the artificial stuff.

I love berries on cake! Can't wait to see the pictures of your cake.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 8

You could also make berries out of fondant or gumpaste.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 8

I vote for talk the bride into using fake fruit or marzipan or something. I am sure there is a way to put real fruit sitting on buttercream, but I am personally scared to death to use fruit inside or outside a cake. I don't know how people do it!! Sugar and fruit=runny mess!

matwogirls Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #7 of 8

is there any tutorials on making the fruit out of fondant or marzipan? I have never attempted this before.

Janice

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #8 of 8

I'm guessing you'll be using regular crisco BC?

On the off chance you're not, I've put fresh fruit on SMBC tons of times and never had a problem. One trick (especially with raspberries and blackberries) is to either not wash the fruit (if it's organic and already looks clean), or to wash it VERY gently, way a head of time so it can COMPLETELY dry out before you put it on the cake. Also, make sure the fruit you put on the cake is not soft or bruised in any place. Other than that, it's REALLY not a problem! I would probably even do it with regular BC if I ever used the stuff! Actually, I think the bakery I work at has probably done fresh fruit deco/garnish on cream cheese frosted cakes... icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, and we do fresh fruit (usually sliced strawberries, sometimes other berries, once canned peaches.) in whipped cream as a filling ALL THE TIME and never have a problem with it. When filling the cake we do a very think layer of whipped cream, a layer of sliced strawberries, and another layer of whipped cream (to totally cover the fruit). We don't usually do anything special to the WC either (just sugar and vanilla, whipped till very stiff) unless it's a wedding cake... then we sometimes add gelatin to stabilize the WC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%