Flip Flops

Decorating By prettypinkroses Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 11:17am by hellie0h

prettypinkroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettypinkroses Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 5

Could any one tell me how to make tiny buttercream flip flops to go on cupcakes. Making them for Vaction Bible School, also starfish, beach balls, fish, could be use, I just like to work with buttercream, have not learned much about fondont.
Thanks alot

4 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 5

Bakery Crafts or Lucks sell them. But if you want to make them, I would either cut them from fondant (I would take a small circle cookie cutter and bend/reshape it until it looks like a flip-flip shape) and then pipe on the little straps with a small tip with buttercream.

If you would rather use buttercream, I think you could probably type them directly on the cupcakes with a round tip, smooth after it has crusted or with a little powdered sugar on your finger into the shape of the flip-flop. Then pipe the straps on with an alternate color of buttercream.

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 5

Yup, for as many as you'll probably have to make for VBS I'd go to a cake store and buy the sugar versions to save yourself time and energy!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #4 of 5

I would make the flip flops out of royal icing. They will dry hard so you can place them right on each cupcake. Just make them at least a day in advance. Once dried, they will stick to the buttercream frosting on your cupcakes.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:17am
post #5 of 5

If you are interested in making them from fondant, here is a you tube link making them from a butterfly cutter...really easy.

If you are looking to make them from buttercream, draw the size flip flop you want, (fill a large sheet of paper with drawn flip flops, or use a paint program to duplicate your orginal many times to fill sheet) and put under wax paper, acetate (something transparent) and pipe the shape, then pipe the strap. Let them dry. Transfer to cupcake with a thin icing spatula. Best of luck with your cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%