New To The Cakey Life...stuck On Icing Idea.

Decorating By lanakb Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 3:12am by lanakb

lanakb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanakb Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a chocolate cake with whipped white choc ganache (recipe from site) as the filling and I will also be doing chocolate transfers. But i am stuck as to what I should ice the outside of the cake with. Whipped ganache maybe..I'm not sure.

I am extremely new to cake making, infact this will be my first real go at doing a nice cake. I have made cakes before but never put any effort into decorating but since this is my daughters first b'day I would like to go that one step further and make something that looks good.

I will be making a smaller smash cake aswell - which I got the idea from this site. thumbs_up.gif But I will not put filling in.

Any ideas anyone has or even to point me in the right direction in terms of what I'll be making would be fantastic. Hubby has already told me that after visiting this site I will start making cakes for the neighbourhood...haha
Oh well gotta have a hobby right. icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 8

Your hubby is probably right! I started making cakes 7 years ago for my kids. I have a wedding cake due in July. It really is addictive. Have you checked out the gallery yet? There are so many great ideas there. Your cake sounds wonderful allready. You could frost it with the gnache or buttercream. Good luck, I know it will be great!

lanakb Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 8

I have not yet had a really good look at the gallery, I know if I do I'll get completely hooked! icon_lol.gif

Hubby has asked to help with baking the cake and since he makes a great sponge I think we have changed to that. So now we are having a sponge with some yummy filling (stuck on that one) and I'm thinking I'll just go with the buttercream.

Do you think the whipped ganache would still work well or should i change it to maybe a vanilla custard filling...haha Thank gosh we have some time to work out all the final details.

I am pretty set on doing the chocolate transfers though.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:25am
post #4 of 8

Either one sounds great!

lanakb Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:42am
post #5 of 8

Wel here it is, my first cake. I went with the KISS method and kept it simple first time round untill I get some idea as to what I am doing.

I made a choc mudcake with white choc ganache. I piped out some lettering and then placed it on cake - gave me a headache! It is really humid here so I have no idea why I decided in doing that...lol Oh well

The photo I took does not do it any justice but I'm happy with it as its my first. When we head down to Perth I'll grab some proper equipment and just kept messing around decorating. icon_razz.gif

Not sure how to add photo but i have placed it in photos area. Will go read how to add pics here. thumbs_up.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:54am
post #6 of 8

Your cake is wonderful! Never would have guessed it was your first. If you would like people to leave comments on your photo, you need to go into your profile and change the setting.
Love your handwriting!

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 8

very nice! icon_smile.gif Great job!!!

(If I might offer a suggestion, you might want to go into 'My forum info', under 'preferences', and turn on your comments, so that folks can leave you comments on your photos. Took me a few weeks to realize why I wasn't getting any feedback on mine! icon_razz.gif )

lanakb Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:12am
post #8 of 8

Ahh Cheers ladies, I have gone in and turned on my comments thingy.
The ladies at the centre were really happy to of recieved the cake today - I should of taken some more pics today as it seemed to look better after a night in the fridge.

I'm going to attempt buttercream next icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%