Weird Wedding Sites

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm by dydemus

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 23

What's the strangest site you've ever known someone to use for a wedding?

I'm going to start this one with my cousin who's having her outdoor wedding at her parents' house. Not all that strange until you find out that they're dairy farmers with the barn maybe 100 feet from the house. icon_eek.gif

There is no yard to speak of and the reception is being held outdoors there too, in the middle of July. Can we say flies in the food? tapedshut.gif

22 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 23

Shall we assume that you and your family are going to eat a huge meal at home before going to this wedding?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:56am
post #3 of 23

OK, not a wedding, but the rehersal dinner! Yes, the part after you practice getting married then you go eat. Are we tracking?

They had it at a recycling center! I am not kidding! It sorta off the road so I had not actually seen the site upclose and just assumed it must be something nice I did not know about! Wrong!

It was kinda pretty, but recycling center is just the new fancy way to say trash dump!

There was a nice covered shed so to speak with picnic tables. It was fitting b/c they were serving BBQ.

BUT.......the actual dumpsters were about 20 feet away! Umm, I don't like flies!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet the flies thought the chocolate cake I made was... well you know what!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:46am
post #4 of 23

My sister had her wedding at the Japanese Tea Gardens. http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapar/japanhis.asp?res=1024&ver=true

It sounds like a lovely wedding venue...but the gardens had been drained for repairs, so all the plants were dead. So basically she got married in a cute wooden gazebo in the middle of a barren rock quarry. The heat and the mosquitos were not a good combination, and we had to get dressed in the city park bathrooms. She wanted my baby to be the flower girl but I wasn't letting her run loose 12 feet above a concrete pit.

She had her reception in the club in back of Sam's Burger Joint...except that she had never seen the place during the daylight, only at night when they had it dark with lots of light effects. It looked terrible in the daylight...the whole place was filthy, there was sun shining through the roof in a few places, the bathrooms were beyond terrible, and she had hired the club's dj for the reception but I guess he thought because of the number of older folks there, the only music he had that was suitable was Frank Sinatra...and more Frank Sinatra. Not only that but my brother-in-law had decided to be married in a kilt, and my sister had set up the main table on the stage. He had gone authentic under the kilt, but he didn't know how to sit in a skirt, so he was flashing everyone under the table icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif and when I made little motions like legs closing, he thought I was applauding him (not for flashing, for marrying my sister I guess).

I got married in a wedding chapel in a basement downtown. All I can really say for it was that it was cheap and it worked icon_biggrin.gif It cost us $40, I had a $20 dress from Ross, hubby wore black jeans and a white shirt and biker boots (the boots cost more than the rest of the wedding put together). I didn't bother with a bouquet or a veil. After our 10 minute ceremony, we took everyone out to Fuddruckers for burgers and cheddar fries. My mom stopped at the grocery store on the way and bought a cake...I didn't care about the cake because there had been many cakes in my past and I knew there would be many in my future, but she couldn't have a wedding without a cake. It was a 6" round with coconut on it and a few cherries, and my mom made cherry jokes icon_redface.gif

mbelgard Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Shall we assume that you and your family are going to eat a huge meal at home before going to this wedding?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I'm not attending. I live 6 hours away and haven't seen or talked to this cousin in at least 5 years and the only times I've seen her mother in the last five years has been at the weddings of a couple of my siblings.

I'll be down in the area until a few days before the wedding but my iguana will miss me so I just won't be able to stay long enough for it. icon_evil.gif

I wouldn't take my kids over there anyway, I heard from her sister that she was talking about spiking the punch and not telling anyone. Since her parents, a good portion of her father's side of the family and her parents' friends believe that ANY alcohol is horrible it's a rotten thing to even think of.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 23

In a shelter in a state park. Not odd in itself, but the bride didn't want to pick up the tab for the park admission, so the guests had to pay the $2 admission fee to get to her wedding.

(She said if she bought tickets ahead of time and put them in the invitation, then if someone didn't come, she was out the money. icon_confused.gif )

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

It was a 6" round with coconut on it and a few cherries, and my mom made cherry jokes icon_redface.gif

I seriously spit chocolate chip cookie everywhere when I read that!

lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Quote:

It was a 6" round with coconut on it and a few cherries, and my mom made cherry jokes icon_redface.gif

Isn't it a little early for chocolate chip cookies? icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In a shelter in a state park. Not odd in itself, but the bride didn't want to pick up the tab for the park admission, so the guests had to pay the $2 admission fee to get to her wedding.

(She said if she bought tickets ahead of time and put them in the invitation, then if someone didn't come, she was out the money. icon_confused.gif )

We see that alot here. A very popular site for outdoor weddings in our area is the International Peace Gardens, they even have a small chapel if you want to get married indoors. It's very pretty in the summer but it seems a bit odd to expect your guests to pay to get to your venue. When you get an invite to a wedding there they always make sure to tell you what the current price is. icon_lol.gif

I think that's going to end pretty quick, the enterance is between the US and Canadian border posts so you have to pass back through US customs so right now you need a birth certificate and soon will need a passport. It's a little much to expect people to shell out for passports just to attend your wedding.

mbelgard Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:

Quote:

It's never too early for cookies.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:

BLASPHOMY!

It's never to early for cookies! icon_lol.gif

lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:

BLASPHOMY!

It's never to early for cookies! icon_lol.gif

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 23

Chocolate Chip cookies contain all four of the food groups.

Grain - in flour
Protein - in eggs
Fruit/Vegetable - in chocolate (chocolate is a vegetable)
Dairy - butter

See, it is a complete meal!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:

Grain - in flour
Protein - in eggs
Dairy - butter

Theresa icon_smile.gif

OK, I was kidding about the cookies, but seriously did not know chocolate is a vegetable! icon_surprised.gif

See I learn something new every day on CC!!!!!!!!!

I have to go now and eat my veggies! icon_cool.gif

mbelgard Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Grain - in flour
Protein - in eggs
Dairy - butter

Theresa icon_smile.gif

OK, I was kidding about the cookies, but seriously did not know chocolate is a vegetable! icon_surprised.gif

It really is. Chocolate comes from cocoa beans, beans are vegetables so chocolate is a veggie.

Milk chocolate gives you stuff from two food groups, dairy and veggie.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:36am
post #17 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY!!!

I had one for breakfast. It was a cut-out one .... ghost shaped ... with white icing.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #18 of 23

okay, ya'll are making me hungry! icon_lol.gif

back to the subject. . . .. I was married in a bar in Tombstone with zero family in attendance. I wore a $13 dress and my husband wore a shirt and tie. We picked the bar because hubby's family had ties to the owners and his dad's picture hung above the bar. We got married on his dad's bday, but his dad had died the year before. icon_cry.gif

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 23

...uuhhhhh...i thought chocolate WAS a food group...

what next? ya gonna tell me there's no easter bunny?

waywordz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waywordz Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:27am
post #20 of 23

I know someone that married at a race car race track place , whatever... I didn't go, my sis did. I knew the bride after the fact. In June. Tx heat warming up the tarmac. Each to his own. I got married in a chapel (like vegas, but, here in Tx. Wanted to marry in my church. But, new preacher said we could only marry in the rec hall becuz hubby wasn't a member. He wasn't affiliated with a church locally. I had gone to that church from birth. Preacher was fairly new. Another member married elsewhere and never looked back. My marriage lasted longer than the preacher. (And all the nay sayers, too.) Thought about renewing our vows in a couple of years on our 40th. Any ideas? Celebrating 38 years this year. It's not where or how. It's if it works or not. Happy ever after, and all that really does take work. And in the words of my lifelong friend the other day...We didn't know we were gonna get old. Amen.
Sometimes I think I'm gonna hurt myself reading these. You guys are too, too funny!

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grain - in flour
Protein - in eggs
Dairy - butter

Theresa icon_smile.gif

It really is. Chocolate comes from cocoa beans, beans are vegetables so chocolate is a veggie.

Milk chocolate gives you stuff from two food groups, dairy and veggie.

hmmmm beans actually are not vegetables if they are shelled, they are seeds and they go into the protien group!

worst venue... a hot sticky, stinky, mosquito filled curling rink. over 400 guests, not enough food and the marriage didnt even last a year.

sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:45am
post #22 of 23

Fun thread!

Worst venue...edge of a rock cliff.
B&G wanted the gorgeous view for the wedding, and the wedding WAS gorgeous (despite the bridesmaids outfits and mode of transpo up the aisle). Fall leaves, lots of nature, etc.
BUT the reception was held right there too...do not let young morons get drunk and play near a cliff.
2 ambulances later...

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #23 of 23

One of my girlfriends had her reception at her parent's house. They were chicken farmers. One year the heater broke and the barns got too hot and the chickens... perished. They had to clear the barns out and have a... bonfire.
And guess where the reception was? Yes, in one of the chicken barns. Now, it had not been used in a while, and was very clean, so it was a very country wedding with line dancing and everything, and they had all sorts of games set up on the lawns outside - and I have to credit the cake baker - it was six tiers high and gorgeous.

But it was a bit of a strange place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%