To Leave Or Not To Leave My Business Card?

Decorating By D77 Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm by KHalstead

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 25

That is my question.... icon_biggrin.gif

What is the best and the most tasteful way for me to leave my business card when I drop a wedding cake off? Or should I?

24 replies
OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 25

I normally don't unless they ask... however you can always give it to the Coordinator or someone in charge as a contact incase anyone has any questions/needs you may be able to answer over-the-phone? Of course they may call you.... =)

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 25

I would leave it with the caterer, wedding planner or hall coordinator... and tell them you are leaving it "just in case" they need to get hold of you.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 25

Ooooh, difficult one! Personally, I would always consult with the bride about it first. I'm doing a wedding on Wednesday and my bride has actually asked me to leave cards with the cake so she can give people my details - I won't leave them at the front of the cake table though (think that's a bit tacky!), I shall leave them at the back of the table along with the wedding card I have for them.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 25

I don't leave my business card. I wouldn't want that done if I were the bride. However I have been asked by the caterer, photographer, etc and I will give them one. I even got an email from the DJ from this past weekend and I didn't leave my card but they must have gotten my info from someone associated with the wedding.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 25

I usually leave at least one cake box for them to package up any leftover cake, and you could always tape a business card to each of those boxes. So far they've usually been stashed under the cake table until they're needed, so they would be handy if anyone was asking for your info.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 25

I'd put one on the box of the top cake if they are keeping it icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 25

I don't leave them on the table as part of the display, but I always leave them. I drop off a cake info sheet and extra boxes anyway, so I leave a small stack with that. Usually goes under the table or with a coordinator for the venue, sometimes on the corner of the table if I can't find anyone.

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 25

Thanks, that helps icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 25

I always leave a few behind the cake. I don't think it is tacky as long as you are discreet.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 25

I always ask the bride if I can leave some on the bar. Nobody has ever told me no.

The only time I didn't leave them was the time, as I was finishing, I saw the father of the bride leading 3 others in with sheet cakes from the grocery store. I wanted nobody to mistake my cake for those cakes.....of course now I have something in my contract about no other cakes allowed to be brought in.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 25

What would you do if it was in your contract and you saw them bringing in sheet cake?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 25

if they bring in sheet cakes I walk with THEIR cake! I explain this to them at the signing of the contract. I also tell them, this may seem a little mean or uncalled for but it's MY reputation everytime I put a cake out there. Here is what my contract says about it

"Tinaâs Sugar Shack retains the right to be the sole provider of confections, unless another baker/bakery has been preapproved by Tinaâs Sugar Shack, and this information must be disclosed upon initial deposit for said confections. Failure to comply may result in a full forfeiture of confections and no reimbursement will be given to purchaser. We can not have our reputation resting on another bakers talents. "

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 25

Jenn, great question, I was wondering the same thing. I've been to a few weddings where that was actually done. The "main cake" was never that big and then we always found out later that the weddng party, parents, etc. got that cake and the rest of us got the others. Not that it really mattered I guess, it just seemed odd and pretty rude. However, if I had done the cake and that happened I would be very upset. I sure wouldn't want someone dissing my cake and then finding out the cake they ate came from some place else.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 25

I have the same clause in my contracts... and I even post this on my website:

Will you be serving other cake at this event? Some customers want to buy an intricately decorated cake as a showpiece and then also buy less expensive sheet cakes from another purveyor (or even a friend or relative) to increase the number of servings. Please understand that while we respect your thriftiness, our reputation and liability are on the line. We do not wish our cakes to be compared with cakes from another bakery or your Aunt Marge⦠and there may be no way for a guest to know which cake he sampled. Because of these reasons, we will not accept orders where any other cake will be served at the same time. We reserve the right to cancel an order (without reimbursement) if there is any other cake at the event site. Our reputation means that much to us.

In other words, if I see you bringing sheetcakes in the back, I take my cake and leave and you get no refund.

I'm totally hard-@$$ about that.

OCakes Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #16 of 25

Thank you guys so much for advising about that sheet cake issue. I've never had that happen that I know of, and I do offer back-up sheets with every consultation, so hopefully it won't be an issue, but I am going to use your clause KHalstead
if you don't mind.

About leaving my business card... after the wedding last night (I stayed to cut this one), I was saying goodbye to the Bride & her older brother(he is a good friend, but I don't know her very well)... Her brother told me I had needed to display my business cards, and I replied that I don't ever do that unless I'm asked to in advance. The Bride said that everyone was asking where they got the cake & that she would not have minded if I had left mine out, and she couldn't see why anyone would ever mind... and big brother again spoke-up because he's a Marketing Exec. & he told me to spend some money on a nice crystal business card holder & just put my cards out every time. They were so insistant about it (too bad it was after-the-fact), so that felt really nice, and I think I will feel a little more comfortable leaving business cards in the future - but discretely, not right in front of the cake or anything!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 25

Someone's wedding isn't the place to promote your business. It's a wedding, not a NASCAR race.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 25

I never leave cards unless someone specifically walks up to me and says, "Do you have a card?"

My name, phone, and website are on labels on the cake box, but that's about it.

Otherwise, I'm in and out and gone. If someone wants my name, they can ask the bride.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 25

If I meet a new event planner, hall manager, etc, that I haven't met before, I will give them my card "just in case" they need me to come back or fix anything or have questions. I have had many of them ask me for several cards to keep in the office. But I would NEVER NEVER NEVER leave cards for guests to see! That is OMG tacky!! If your cake is delicious, the guests will ask the bride who made their cake!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:40pm
post #20 of 25

If your cake is worthy of praise and raves and the guests at any event the guest knows how to pick up a phone call the person who purchased the cake and say "Can I have the number to the baker".

Everyone will take a card and 95% of them will be thrown away.

That 5% would be the same who are intent on calling up the host/hostess and asking where it was from.

There's a time/place to advertise and during someone's event isn't it unless it's pre-planned and/or all the other vendors are doing it.

I've been setting up at places and usually being the last one done and have seen the wedding/event coordinator come through for a final walk through and toss stacks of cards into the garbage that were left out to advertise. DJ's, florists, caterer's etc. What a waste of money for that vendor to invest in cards only to have them end up under a pile of garbage.

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

If your cake is worthy of praise and raves and the guests at any event the guest knows how to pick up a phone call the person who purchased the cake and say "Can I have the number to the baker".

This is what I was just thinking! They can just ask the bride/groom. It's not too hard to do, but I would leave it with the wedding organizers/planners (for any questions they might have).

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #22 of 25

A 'full service bakery' in my area has doilies with their name and address and phone number printed on them...ok for a sheet cake I guess, but they use them on the bottom layer of their wedding cakes! Now THAT is tacky!

OCakes Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #23 of 25

I just want to add that I agree with everyone since my previous post in this forum - I never do leave mine unless I'm specifically asked to. The only time that I've ever actually had my cards out, was at a friends wedding where I only charged her 50% because it was only my 2nd wedding cake (the 1st was my sisters & I was not in business yet), and as a 'thank you' for that discount, they 'demanded' that I put my cards out.

I do want to add that I do get orders from all my weddings and I never leave cards. People do know how to ask for information, and word-of-mouth has always been my best form of advertisement!

KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:17pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCakes

Thank you guys so much for advising about that sheet cake issue. I've never had that happen that I know of, and I do offer back-up sheets with every consultation, so hopefully it won't be an issue, but I am going to use your clause KHalstead
if you don't mind.

of course not, use away!

KHalstead Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #25 of 25

I always just think of the cake itself as the biggest business card of all..........people will always find a way to get your number! It also helps if you have a easy to remember website addy too, then the host can just say oh sure....go to fantasticcakes.com or whatever!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%