Adjusting Scratch Recipe To Fill Pans

Decorating By chelley325 Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 1:40am by chelley325

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 7

Help! I'm pretty new at this... I have only used box mix until now. For a cake I am doing this weekend I am using a scratch recipe that is designed for two 9" round pans. The cakes I am making are 10" and 6" squares. Based on the volume charts I've seen the two 9" pans would need 10 cups of batter and then 10" and 6" combined would need 16 cups. However, I don't know (and don't *think*) that the scratch recipe even yields that much for the 9" pans. So do I just scale my recipe by 1.6 or do I make enough batter for the requisite 12 cups and 4 cups for my pans? Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 7

I've found that some of the typical "cookbook" scratch recipes, while very good, don't yield nearly enough better to make the tall cakes (4").

You might want to double the recipe, keep track of the number of cups, and note how high your pans bake up. If they come out a little short, torte them an extra time and add more filling, or bake an extra layer if you have to...I've found after making a recpe a few times, and keeping notes, I have a sense of how much batter I need.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 7

Most of the scratch recipes I use yield 6-7 cups of batter, so that's how I determine how much of each to make. Be careful of increasing your recipes - if it contains strange amounts like 5 eggs, then halving a recipe can be less accurate!

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 7

usually what I do is double the recipe (or triple or whatever you need to get enough batter), use the # of cups directed for each pan and then make cupcakes with any leftover batter. Don't stress yourself out trying to make a 1.6x recipe!

chelley325 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 7

Another (probably stupid!) question - do you use dry or liquid measuring cups to measure your batter?

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 7

I used the dry one, only because you don't have to try to fill it to the line each time, just scoop & pour

chelley325 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:40am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for the help! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%