My Lastest Creation....what A Story!!!

Decorating By Erdica Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 12:56am by butterflywings

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 12

This cake I had issues with from the beginning. I crumb coated the cakes to let them settle. But I kept finding sugar chunks in one. So I scraped the entire cake and redid it. Worried someone would break a tooth or something. Then dying the frosting the hot pink color was hard. Glad it wasn't red or black! We were running early and finishing up decorations when DH looked down and 3 of the tiers had bubbles in them. The BC had cracked. So we took off all the icing and reiced 4 of the 5 tiers. Running late to the reception hall and then had to set up the cake for the florist. We start setting up and some of the lines on the pink tier are sliding off. I fixed all but the middle line (which is still driving me nuts icon_cry.gif ) We got the flowers on there and the caterers and florist were really impressed. Of course I see all the imperfections. I do wonder if I'll ever be happy with any of my cakes.

Anyway, here's a picture of my first tilted cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1235484

11 replies
Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 12

Well I think the cake is beautiful. I do see the middle line is a bit wonky but I don't think I would have noticed it if you hadn't have told me. What did the bride and groom think? That's all that matter anyway. We are all our worst critics anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 12

Cake is wonderful! And the middle line looks like it's supposed to be that way. I actually think it adds a touch of whimsy. And the colors match the plates perfectly. Bet you're glad this one is over! I've had a few cakes that I've re-iced again and again and I was so glad when I finally handed it off! Really - Well done!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 12

Oh my! that is brilliant. I can't see anything wrong with it. You are really brave to make one of those, because I haven't even thought of doing one of these cakes.

Well Done! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 12

OH...dont dispair...I am still deciding if I am good enough to do cake competitions. Is a normal feeling!.. Is the perfectionist in us...good thing to strive for perfection..it only make us better!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 12

I think your being tooo hard on yourself. I its very nice. Its a crocked cake, no one is going to look at the lines not being straight, they will think that it was done that way on purpose.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 12

I think it is fabulous! I would never consider scraping off icing and reicing. I'd probably spend 3 times as long fussing over the one I have and trying to make it work! At least now I know some people do that and maybe I'll consider it an option icon_smile.gif

Can you tell how you did the stacking? I love how the flowers are stuck within the whimsy tiers.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 12

The stacking of the cake was done by my DH!! He's amazing.

We took the SPS system and placed it on the very bottom layer (the diamond layer). Then we put some RI on that plate. DH spent a lot of time sawing down cake dummies to make the wedges. Then we placed the wedges on top of the RI. Then on top of the wedge went the next cake which was sitting on an SPS plate with no legs. Then repeat for the rest of the layers. He even cut out little spaces for the legs of the plates to sit in. We actually measured everything on a dummy cake to make sure we liked the angles and all that. There wasn't a driving a center dowel down the middle since we were using the SPS system. So that's why we used RI to "glue" the wedge into place. The florist did the rest. The bride wanted the flowers kind of being squished by the cakes.

Thank for all the responses. This cake was difficult and now that it's under our belt, we're ready for the next. I'll post if I hear anything from the bride and groom.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #9 of 12

I'm sorry, what is the SFS system?

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #10 of 12

they're talking about sps. there is such a thing as sfs, but it's really expensive and sps isn't.

i don't use sps so i cant explain much, but it's a fool proof support system for cakes. leahs knows everything about it, i'm sure she'll come and explain. you can pm her with your email address for instructions.

TexasTam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasTam Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 12

Very cool cake! I love the colors!!! They are so bright and the flowers on it are beautiful. Very good job!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #12 of 12

i think it's AWESOME and me, personally, i think i might have made the other lines wavy on purpose and said it was supposed to look like that, since it IS a wonky cake afterall! i LOVE the colors and you did a fantastic job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%