Smart Money Guide To Cheaper Wedding

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 10:53am by gottabakenow

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 7

I am glad to see that#1 on the list is less invites! The renting a dummy cake is a neat idea, but I wonder just how many people there are that do that.
Not so much in love with the negotiate the price one though....

$28K for a wedding, sheesh, that is about what some people live on!

http://www.smartmoney.com/deal-of-the-day/index.cfm?story=20080620-10-Ways-to-Cut-Wedding-Costs&afl=myyahoo&pgnum=1

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 7

Oh I know...I have been married almost 12 years and we spent maybe $1500 on our wedding and about that much on our honeymoon. I can't imagine spending what people do on their weddings these days. Not to mention graduations, etc....

Good for me in the cake business, LOL, but still... icon_confused.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I am glad to see that#1 on the list is less invites!

That SHOULD be #1, but if you read carefully, you'll see the advice is not for FEWER invites, but for LESS CRAP IN THE ENVELOPE.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 7

But less crap in the envelopes is a good thing!

I recently was invited to the wedding, there was the invite, the RSVP card, but wait! There was also an offer to go on a tour expedition with the bride and groom FOR AN EXTRA FEE! and a flyer about the boat that they were having a wedding on, and flyer about the hotel at which they recommended we stay, and I've forgotten what that last insert was, but there were six things in that envelope!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #5 of 7

Oh I did not read the thing about less crap in the envelope...definately imprtant too.

Personally I vote for no favors unless they are edible! Do I need a bell comemmerating x & y's wedding? Probably not....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:27am
post #6 of 7

Don't include a map, just list the map-link?? icon_surprised.gif Are they assuming that the ONLY guests being invited are those with computers? Sorry, but my in-laws don't have a computer and I know a number of other folks who don't either. To ASSUME everyone has access to internet maps is arrogant.

I also tell my brides not to waste money on favors unless they are food favors. Had a bride this past May email me after the wedding thanking me for this suggestion. They just put cute buckets of mixed candies on the guest tables, with some wrapped candies thrown around it like confetti. She told me there were hardly any candies left ... the guests LOVED them! She was "so happy we went with your suggestion!"

I see too many bells, flower seed packets, personalized pens, etc., left on the tables or thrown in the trash on the way out the door.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:53am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

Not so much in love with the negotiate the price one though....

it actually says to say "what can we do to meet this price?" which is totally fine. it's different than saying "i only have this much to spend on the cake and i want this price for it so gimme." icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%