First Unhappy Customer, I Need Prevention Advice...

Decorating By lovetofrost Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 10:25am by Mike1394

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:48pm
post #31 of 40

Must be a man thing....I had a guy order a cake for his daughter a couple months ago and he was fairly disappointed in the size. I gave him what he ordered and I did not think he needed money back and did not offer. That said, he loved the design and also he just called last week to order a cake for another of his daughters! He said they loved the last cake...but...he did tack on an extra five servings, LOL, for this one, since he still thought his last one wasn't enough cake.

I guess to a man, "enough cake" is enough for everyone to have a big piece and seconds! I have never had a "not enough" complaint from any of the women who order from me. LOL.

What I thought was funny is that the guy said "I guess we will only get one piece then." Well um yeah, if you order for 4 people, then you only get ONE piece unless you purposely order extra!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #32 of 40

Wow, bakerboi, that's a heck of a poor month. Hopefully, things will only look up for you. I hate being a slave to corporate America. I'll be so glad when I retire. I may be poor, but at least I won't worry every day that I'm about to be laid off.

All of us women here really do know that a few of you can do math and find your car keys. You know we just have to make sport of that whole 6" thing, but deep down we adore our men. : )

Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboi

Oh...and some of us men DO know how to measure and do math. I'm amazed at the number of 4th year Veterinary Students (female as well as male!) who can't do simple dose calculations or figure out IV fluid rates or determine electrolyte deficits...Ugh! it's not like we're doing Linear Algebra or Differential Equations, I shouldn't be having to teach them remedial math when they have less than a year before graduating from a post-graduate professional program.

One reason I can't stand teaching high school math anymore....you can't teach Algebra when these kids don't know a times table without a calculator. OT I know....but you know, its scaring me to get old in a country full of people who have no clue... by the time I'm old and ready for a nursing home, there probably won't be many left who can give me an accurate dose of meds!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:20pm
post #34 of 40

I so agree with playing with sugar, I would never make a 6" cake, unless it was a top tier. When you buy a 6" Pepperidge Farm cake, it's $3 at the grocery store, and look at how many people put that box back! LOL

Minimums, are, I think, non-negotiable. And they have to be enough to justify turning your oven on, and shooing your family out of the kitchen. I like aligotmatt's breakdown.

indydebi is so funny, and she's so right, too.

But you did what you did, and okay. The end is good, he ordered a $90 cake. My concern is, was $90 enough for 2 11x15's. That's a lot of cake. One 11x15 is 60 party servings, according Wilton. 120 servings for $90 is way cheap.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:47pm
post #35 of 40

mbelgard -

No, I do not know your husband, but my father's idea of a gift to my mother was teflon cookware, toaster ovens, vacuum cleaners, and nifty stuff like that. The only time she ever got flowers was her Mother's Day corsages. For graduation from high school, he had my mother's sewing machine fixed for me.

Bakerboi -

Please don't be offended. When I described men, I said "most men." We all know that you, and Doug, and Mike are exceptions to the rule.

K8memphis -

Getting "one thing straight" was not a good phrase to use when we were already choking on our morning coffee, laughing over men not knowing what 6" is.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Quote:

But you did what you did, and okay. The end is good, he ordered a $90 cake. My concern is, was $90 enough for 2 11x15's. That's a lot of cake. One 11x15 is 60 party servings, according Wilton. 120 servings for $90 is way cheap.

Depends if its single or double layer...the 60 servings is for a two layer.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #37 of 40

yeah $90 is cheep for a cake that size. But I understand how you feel. I have a hard time charging people a lot for a cake because I think that is a lot of money to just spend on a birthday cake. I had to get over my self and say "they dont lower the prices in the grocery store because it just seems too high. I had an order for 2 cakes today the one with the ballet shoes in my photos. I charged 160 for two 10" that were 3 layers whipped filling and strawberry. At first I felt bad and then I did the math and said well that's only 80 per cake and it can feed like 45 people and so thats like 1.75 per serving and I did fondant and two figures. And I delivered. So I made sure to put that on my invoice that she received a discount for being the owner of the dance school my daughter attends. Which I shouldnt care because she doesnt flinch to charge me 40 per month for lessons. Don't sell yourself cheap. I know that I'm going to charge $2 per serving and $3 for fondant and $5 per fondant figure. And $20 for delivery. I could have gotten over 200 for those cakes.

Ok thats enough of my rant... You shouldnt have given that money back you earned it and that was too cheap. I dont even sell 6"cakes I start at 8". Dont feel bad though. Its a learning curve.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #38 of 40

I don't think that men have been lying to us for years about how big 6" is. We're not stupid, we'd never believe it! They've been lying to THEMSELVES!! and this guy's proof! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif This guys been thinkin 6" was 8" for a LOT of years! LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindywith3boys

I don't think that men have been lying to us for years about how big 6" is. We're not stupid, we'd never believe it! They've been lying to THEMSELVES!! and this guy's proof! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif This guys been thinkin 6" was 8" for a LOT of years! LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yeah but if he's thinking that way you'd figure he'd be surprised at how huge the cake was. icon_lol.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:25am
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

mbelgard -

No, I do not know your husband, but my father's idea of a gift to my mother was teflon cookware, toaster ovens, vacuum cleaners, and nifty stuff like that. The only time she ever got flowers was her Mother's Day corsages. For graduation from high school, he had my mother's sewing machine fixed for me.

Bakerboi -

Please don't be offended. When I described men, I said "most men." We all know that you, and Doug, and Mike are exceptions to the rule.

K8memphis -

Getting "one thing straight" was not a good phrase to use when we were already choking on our morning coffee, laughing over men not knowing what 6" is.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Thank You Thank You. icon_biggrin.gif and six inches is really.... well, you know. icon_surprised.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%