Calling All Topsy-Turvy Cake Gurus...need Help Asap!!

Decorating By chatnoir5638 Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm by adven68

chatnoir5638 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chatnoir5638 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 7

I need help! I am doing a 3-tier 3inch round topsy turvy cake for about 100 tomorrow and I am all prepared. My icing and fondant are made and all cakes are in the freezer so I can carve them easier.

My questions are:
1. Do I wait until after I have thawed out the tiers before covering each with fondant? (I will carve them frozen...but do I cover frozen also?)
2. My 12'' tier is very heavy alone (without the 10'' and 8'' on top!) so I purchased a thick round wooden base from home depot. How do I attach the fondant covering to this base? And how do I then attach my pretty boa to encircle it? I don't want to hot glue it, for fear it won't come off in one piece!
3. Any clue how to do nice looking leopard print spots without looking dorky? Types of fondant I made: black, white, light brown, copper, and dark brown. Any suggestions?
Please pray for me...I am doing my first topsy turvy ever for my first ever multi-tiered cake for a baking contest for my hubby's company picnic tomorrow and I am VERY nervous! Any help your can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Jodi

6 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatnoir5638

1. Do I wait until after I have thawed out the tiers before covering each with fondant? (I will carve them frozen...but do I cover frozen also?)
2. My 12'' tier is very heavy alone (without the 10'' and 8'' on top!) so I purchased a thick round wooden base from home depot. How do I attach the fondant covering to this base? And how do I then attach my pretty boa to encircle it? I don't want to hot glue it, for fear it won't come off in one piece!
3. Any clue how to do nice looking leopard print spots without looking dorky? Types of fondant I made: black, white, light brown, copper, and dark brown. Any suggestions?
Please pray for me...I am doing my first topsy turvy ever for my first ever multi-tiered cake for a baking contest for my hubby's company picnic tomorrow and I am VERY nervous! Any help your can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Jodi

Cover cakes with fondant when frozen or very cold....they will hold their shape better.
Mist the wooden base with water and cover with fondant...at least 1/4" to get a smooth finish, and do this as far in advance as you can so it sets and you don't get dents from accidentally touching it.
I would paint on leopard spots...random dark spots on a lighter fondant background....Google leopard print for an example....It would be way less work than making it with all fondant.
I can only think of hot glue for the boa...maybe a drop of hot glue every few inches so it's easier to remove.

Praying for ya...no problem!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:25am
post #3 of 7

I do not cover my cakes frozen, it causes tons of trouble with the fondant as it thaws. i would carve and fill; let thaw completely, crumcoat and chill ( but not freeze); then cover.

HTH

adven68 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I do not cover my cakes frozen, it causes tons of trouble with the fondant as it thaws. i would carve and fill; let thaw completely, crumcoat and chill ( but not freeze); then cover.

HTH

really? do you mean sweating? I never leave them in the freezer so they become solid as a rock, just cold through and through (maybe, like for an hour or so)...but I never have an issue with that.
maybe it has to do with climate? hmmmm....

Claricakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claricakes Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #5 of 7

I made m first topsy tuvey cake..about 2 months ago....yes I was nervous as well when carving cut at a slant. Cut a little at a time, because if you cut too much you can not fix it. So take your time...I never freeze my cakes so I can't help you with hat advise. I wouldn't paint the leapard print I think fondant looks better use a zacto knife to make the curvey oval/circles.
you can see my pictures www.flickr.com/claricakes
the first one was the white topsy turvy not to happy,,the nxt ones were the sweet 16 and quinceanera, and my favorite was the Luau theme topsy turvey third times the charmer...: )
Again...take you time and Have fun. Good luck...email a picture.
Clarissa

chatnoir5638 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chatnoir5638 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for all your tips!

The cake got rave reviews and placed 2nd in the adult category (first category was kids) for both presentation and creativity.

I carved the tiers frozen and placed the fondant on and get this...drove about 2 miles up the road with it not once falling over, which is a huge feat since I forgot to dowel it! I swear it weighed about 30 pounds. I was sweating helping my hubby carry it to the table!

adven68 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 7

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%