Box Top On Gift Cakes

Decorating By donnan Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm by donnan

donnan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnan Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 24

How do you make the top for a gift box cake? I have seen cakes that look like the gift box top is actually a separate top sitting on the cake...it's probably made out of fondant, but I can't figure out how to do it.
Thanks!
Donna in Alabama

23 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 24

The box tops were made using 5 separate panels. I rolled out the fondant (with Tylose added) on a highly cornstarch dusted plywood and cut the pieces to rough size the day before. I let them dry out on the plywood for 48 hours. The day when I was doing the cake; I covered the square cakes with fondant the regular way. Then I took the dry, firm ( but still fragile) panels I had cut and trimmed them with my exacto knife to fit the exact size I needed to fit the cake tops. I attached them with dabs of melted candy melts. The corners were boosted up (under the top panel) with little gobs of fondant, since square fondant covered
cakes tend to round down and sag just a little). After I was done, any little gaps in the lids I spackled with matching BC.

donnan Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 24

Thanks so much Sharon! Your cakes are so beautiful! How in the world do you figure this stuff out??? I'm going to try to make the box tops, but it sounds really complicated! I'll let you know how they turn out.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 24

Yay! Sugarshack to the rescue again! I love a happy ending! Donnan, if you can get ALL her DVDs. They are great!

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 24

it is truly not hard; you just have to plan ahead and make your lids 2-3 days ahead so they are super firm.

go for it!

donnan Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 24

Hi, I just recently purchased Sharon's video's, and you're right, they are really great! I have learned so much from them... it will take lots of practice to ever get them to look like her cakes! I hope she makes more videos! I know that she has a wealth of information to share! I also just ordered the baby bootie cutters (I think they are the ones she uses). I can't wait to try to make them!

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 24

You are right Donnan, it does take A LOT of practice but I am so determined to get there. I've made the baby booties and feet cake twice using templates and they were such a hit! Also the sides of my cakes are much straighter which I am very pleased about. I can't wait for her next DVD and I hope she shows us how to do the box cake with the beaded edged bow in it (hint, hint icon_wink.gif

donnan Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 24

Ditto hint - hint!! I'm pretty determined too. I made a cake like her baby cake which she used the diamond mat on the sides. I ordered the mold for the baby bottle, pacifier, and diaper pins and made chocolate pieces with them to go on the cake. It was a super hit. I also ordered the banner cutter that she uses a lot...it's so small, I'm having a hard time getting my messages on it, even with the edible pens. Sharon's look like she "prints" them on the banner, the font is so perfect! I love looking at her cakes, she has such beautiful ideas!

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

I can't wait for her next DVD and I hope she shows us how to do the box cake with the beaded edged bow in it (hint, hint icon_wink.gif

could be.... you never know.... icon_biggrin.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 24

Hey Sharon,

Do you think you will ever make a Box Set with all three videos at a special price?? Not that you NEED to! icon_smile.gif Just wondering..

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

Hey Sharon,

Do you think you will ever make a Box Set with all three videos at a special price?? Not that you NEED to! icon_smile.gif Just wondering..

Maybe.

I am going to be perfeclty honest here. I think it would be a little unfair to the loyal customers who have been with us from day one, and bought the DVDs one at a time as they were released , to discount a 3 piece set right now, so soon after their release. Does that makse sense?

In addition, they truly are priced as competitivley as we can manage at this time.

We may consider it some point further in the future.

Thanks for asking and I hope you can undertand my thought process on that. I hope that does not offend anyone.

icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 24

Donna wrote:
I ordered the mold for the baby bottle, pacifier, and diaper pins and made chocolate pieces with them to go on the cake. It was a super hit. I also ordered the banner cutter that she uses.........

OOOh!! Donna, where did you order the molds from please? If I could get hold of them that would be my next cake project.

Sharon, please don't tease! I am so excited at the thought of your next DVD, I can't wait. On the subject of discounts, I thought your reply was perfect. As someone who has spent A LOT of money travelling abroad for classes I think your prices are very competitive.

donnan Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 24

Cake Whiz...I ordered the molds from candylandcrafts.com
They are great!! I ordered the cutters for the booties and banner from globalsugarart.com I think you said you had made the booties...were they difficult? Thanks,
Donna in Alabama

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 24

[quote="sugarshack"]

Quote:

I am going to be perfeclty honest here. I think it would be a little unfair to the loyal customers who have been with us from day one, and bought the DVDs one at a time as they were released , to discount a 3 piece set right now, so soon after their release. Does that makse sense?

In addition, they truly are priced as competitivley as we can manage at this time.

Thanks for asking and I hope you can undertand my thought process on that. I hope that does not offend anyone.

icon_smile.gif

OFFEND?? OMG NO!! I wasn't even SUGGESTING actually. I was just wondering! All the work, time and talent that goes into these video is unbelieveable so I totally understand. It was just a question! (I used to be in sales so my mind just automatically goes THERE)!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha...

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!!

sugarshack Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 24

[quote="milissasmom"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:

icon_smile.gif

OFFEND?? OMG NO!! I wasn't even SUGGESTING actually. I was just wondering! All the work, time and talent that goes into these video is unbelieveable so I totally understand. It was just a question! (I used to be in sales so my mind just automatically goes THERE)!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha...

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!!

Thanks for understanding!

I get that inquiry from time to time so I thought I would just put my thought process out there for all to read.

we may do in the future with speaicl covers and packaging, like a goft set you kmow?

But way later, after more DVDs have been made.

Thanks so much!

CakeWhizz Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 7:47am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnan

Cake Whiz...I ordered the molds from candylandcrafts.com
They are great!! I ordered the cutters for the booties and banner from globalsugarart.com I think you said you had made the booties...were they difficult? Thanks,
Donna in Alabama

Thanks for the info Donna. I know that globalart ships abroad and will find out if candylandcrafts does too. The booties were not that difficult to make actually. I made all the templates from a sturdy but flexible piece of board and cut the fondant around them. The assembly on the other hand.........

donnan Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #17 of 24

I ordered the cutters for the booties, all you do is roll out your 50- 50 mixture and use the cutters to cut out the pieces for the booties. I haven't tried making them yet, but I would guess the assembly would be very difficult. I'm planning to try making them as soon as I get some free time!

CakeWhizz Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #18 of 24

Actually the assembly is not that difficult once you know the little tricks to use. It's best to apply the front bit of the bootie first and prop that up with some scrunched up kitchen roll wrapped with clingfilm (I think you call that saran wrap). I then wrap the back of the bootie round the edge to meet the front part and I use a narrow cylindrical container (I have kept an empty dragee container wrapped in cling film and dusted with cornstarch for this purpose) to prop up the back bit and leave it to dry.

I hope my garbled explanation makes sense but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly straightforward. I want to move on to making booties with bows and patterned bootie soles as soon as I can!

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:13pm
post #19 of 24

Sugarshack - does the fondant trim easily after drying for 2 days?

sugarshack Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl

it cuts like a dream with an exacto knife

thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl

it cuts like a dream with an exacto knife

thumbs_up.gif

donnan Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:58pm
post #22 of 24

Hi Cake Whiz, do you think what you call "kitchen roll" the same thing as what we call "foil"?? Thanks so much for your instructions on assembling the booties! I can't wait to try to make them. Where are you located? I hope you can get those molds and cutters shipped to you, they are really great. Those two companies have lots of neat, useful things for cake decorating!

CakeWhizz Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:04am
post #23 of 24

Hi Donna, I think what we call kitchen roll here in the UK you call viva (??). I am soo jealous of you guys as you have the best suppliers of cake decorating stuff in the world and at far cheaper prices, even with shipping costs! I will definitely check out the companies you recommended and let me know when you've made your first booties!

donnan Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:02pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks so much for your response! I will let you know when I make the booties! If you can't get the items shipped to you that you want, let me know and I will try to help you out. Have a great day!!
Donna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%