What Program Does Everyone Use To Draw Up Sketches?

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 20 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm by PinkZiab

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me? I see people on here all the time (doug included) that have computerized "sketches" of their cakes. You know, not like wedding cake pro or anything, just the basics. Square cakes stacked, some stripes here, dots there that sort of thing...fill in base color this or that. Can anyone share?? i have a ton of programs on the pc but I don't know what to use??

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 7

alright, I guess it can be done in paint........although it was a pain drawing the shape of the cake! I didn't see any 5 tiered square cakes in the templates.
LL

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 7

I draw them with a pencil and a ruler and then scan them into my computer if I need to email them. I know I am old school that way. I have Adobe Photoshop Professional and I hate using it. I think I sould read a guide but I like to figure things out on my own and it is so hard to use without instructions.

not dissing the program, i know most graphic articts love it, just saying as a non-techy I find it difficult.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 7

I use Paint. What I do is go in when I have time, and make templates of each shape and size. I just kind of eyeball it for the sizes, since there's no way I know of to get it perfectly accurate. icon_razz.gif

Then, when I need them, I copy the sizes I need, paste them into the new Paint page, and then copy and paste from there, as I need to. You have to go in and clean up the edges that aren't supposed to be seen, but that's not a huge deal, to me.

I'd love to get one of those cake designing programs, but they're expensive, and i don't have enough use for them to justify the cost at this point.

Good luck finding something! I'll be watching, in case someone has a great one that comes up. icon_smile.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 7

Here is a link to a thread about using Microsoft Publisher to "draw" cakes.

HTH,

Susan

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588301.html

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 7

I use Excel, it has selection of nice round and square 3-D looking shapes.
I have printed a 2, 3 and 4 tiers- square and round and made bunch of copies, whatever design I want on the cake I just do it with a pencil.

If you have Excel âAutoshapesâ is usually on the bottom of the sheet by default, if notâ¦
Open a blank spreadsheet, and then go to âInsertâ, âpictureâ, âautoshapesâ.
A little rectangle is going to appear with the basic shapes, you can take that rectangle and drag it to the bottom of the sheet you have it handy.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 7

I do everything on my computer, banking, pay bills, shopping, greeting cards, you name it--heck I even met my boyfriend online lol... except sketch my cakes. A box of colored pencils and a sketch pad is all I need!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%