Stacking Oval Cakes?

Decorating By postcakes Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm by postcakes

postcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
postcakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 5

Good morning everyone! Has anyone ever tried to use the SPS stacking method on a 3 tier oval cake? I have never used SPS but from what I understand, the plates only come in round and square shapes. I am wondering if the "extra" ends of the oval cake which would extend beyond the round plate would cause the cake tier to crack. Does anyone have any ideas/hints for oval cakes? I love the look of oval cakes and I would like to do a 3 tier for my sister's baby shower next month. Thanks you all you wonderful and talented CC'ers! Ann

4 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 5

I started a thread requesting oval separator plates from the Global Sugar Art forum. A few other people have added in their requests too, and the owner of GSA is supposed to be looking into finding them.

Perhaps if more people requested oval separator systems (SPS or traditional) they might stock them again.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586351.html

Oh -- and I do think any amount of cake extending over an edge would cause cracking (if not the cake falling off altogether!) Perhaps use a size larger round plate...? You might fill the space with flowers, or some design element if you didn't like the look of open plate. Or, perhaps the plates could be cut down with a scroll saw, and sanded smooth.

Hope this helps!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 5

I just did an oval cake last weekend.

I use my own version of an SPS: I use the Wilton oval plates, then cut down the Wilton short spiked pillars to the height of the cake tier. Works for me. icon_wink.gif

HTH

postcakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help!

postcakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%