Really Silly Rookie Question.

Decorating By jenbashore Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 12:04pm by terrier

jenbashore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbashore Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:03am
post #1 of 8

If royal icing dries so hard, why would you ice a cake with it? icon_redface.gif I know it is probably a dumb question.

7 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:26am
post #2 of 8

You usually don't ice the cake with it, but use it for detail work instead. It's not hard like a rock, just hard to the bite. The exception of icing the cake with it is England I believe, where fruitcakes are typically covered with royal icing. They are kept for months, sometimes years from what I understand and the royal keeps them moist on the inside acting as a "cement" barrier.

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:27am
post #3 of 8

well, i personally would not...
but a cookie? absolutely.....

why royal, though? i dunno....i DO like the crispness of it....sometimes (but rarely) that's exactly what i am looking for.....
especially if i want to make something ahead of time....but then you have to account for breakage....

my personal opinion is that it WAS a trendy thing, once upon a time.....not so much anymore...

and a friendly reminder.....there are NO dumb questions.....

just curious cake=ers.
sally

jenbashore Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:37am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be used on cake dummies so it would last a long time? If it was used on cake dummies, would it melt in very warm temps?

Jen

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:41am
post #5 of 8

Cake dummies are the exception. If you cover those with royal they will last forever. Once they are dried they won't melt, just get dusty with time. Your colors will fade if they are kept in the light though.

jenbashore Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:45am
post #6 of 8

Good to know!!! Thanks. This web site is awesome! Everyone has been so nice and full of information.

Jen

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:54am
post #7 of 8

I think in the UK they use royal icing on the fruit cakes they do.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 8

It is used on fruit cakes to help keep them fresh... but you have to put a layer of almond paste on first, if you do not the rum/colours will soak through.

Also royal icing was used a lot in the 40-80 for wedding cakes it was the in thing and most people did have fruit cakes for their wedding not like now where everyone wants cake...cake...like DH.

I like using it for cookies in small amounts.

Cheers,
ally

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%