Cake Stand Question Re: Sizes Of Tiers

Decorating By ANicole Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 4:28am by mindywith3boys

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there!

I have a customer who is using her own cake stand (which I haven't seen yet) to display 12", 10" & 8" cakes. I should've asked her, but didn't, and actually, I don't want to sound dumb to her - so I thought I'd ask you guys this question... (by the way, it's her wedding cakes)...

Do I need to put the cakes on the same size board as the cake stand, so instead of doing what I usually do and going a few inches bigger for the cake board, do I get a 12 for a 12" cake, etc.?

Or should I just ask her?

Sorry - I've never used a cake stand before (I'm new at this still!).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amber

6 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 7

I would first find out the diameter of the cake stand. If it is only 12 inches, I think the cake will hang over. Once a 12 in cake is iced, I think it will be slightly larger than 12 inches. So, it's only going to look right if the stand is 14 or bigger.
I would put the cake on a foam board the same size as the cake and Ice out past the board so that you don't see any board at all. But, that's JMO. icon_wink.gif

ANicole Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #3 of 7

That's what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to ask her a really "obvious" and dumb question.

I need to figure out the diameter. I'm guessing it's more than likely a little more than 12" to allow for the border, but what if it's a 12" exactly, then it would be better suited for a 10" cake, right?

mindywith3boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #4 of 7

Yep, that's what I think. Unless you use a say 14 or 16 in 1/2 inch foam board and have it extend past the stand. You could dress it up a bit. Cover it with fondant and put a ribbon around it. I think you really need to see the stand. It could have a lip around the edge.

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 7

So when you ice out past the cake, do you put the cake on the serving plate and then put on the border? Have to do the same thing this weekend for the first time and just happened on this question.

Thanks!!!

ANicole Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #6 of 7

I was wondering if there is a lip around the edge also. I will just have to ask her to bring it when she pays the deposit, so I can see it for myself! Thanks so much for the info - I thought maybe this was a dumb question, but I guess it's not!

mindywith3boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:28am
post #7 of 7

Yes, I would put it on the serving plate first. Then apply the border.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%