Sweetex Shortening, How Much Should A First Time User Order?

Decorating By sugarflour2 Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm by sugarflour2

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 15

I have never made any of the buttercream recipes using shortening, only SMBC and IMBC, but with the hot weather I just can't take the melting any more. I've always hated the bakery icings, even as a kid, so using these buttercreams has not been an option until now.

Since joining CC I've read so many great things about your buttercreams that I've decided it's time to give it a try, but I really don't want to make anything that tastes, or even remotely feels like you're eating grease.

I have a do at the end of the month that's covered in buttercream, and I'm going to try using a Sweetex recipe (I'm thinking Sugar Shacks) but I'm not sure how much I should order because I only see 4 and 50lb. buckets. I don't want to order 50lbs just yet in case I don't like it. Any advice would be helpful.

14 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 15

I use Sweetex and love it - will never go back to regular shortening. My absolute favorite is IMBC but as you said - sometimes you need other options.

Maybe just go with a 4 lb. bucket at first and see how you like it. You can get quite a few batches of icing out of 4 lbs. Yes, you'll have to pay extra shipping again if you decide to go with the full 50 lb. bucket but at least you won't be stuck with so much leftover if you end up not liking it.

sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 15

I was thinking the same thing too awofl24 on ordering the 4lbs, but would that be enough to make Sugar Shack's recipe? I can't really remember off the top of my head, but I think it calls for something like 5 cups.

awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 15

Hmmmm...good thought. Ok, so maybe not a "few" batches. I think you can get almost 2 c per lb. so you could make at least one full batch.

How about ordering 2 of the 4 lb. buckets so that you have enough for at least 2 batches for some trial runs to see how you like it?

sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 15

That's a good idea; that's what I'll do.

Have you used Sugar Shack's recipe? If so, do you really like it? I've read from everyone who's tried it that it's really good, but I'm just so afraid I'm going to have flashbacks of being a kid eating that awful gritty bakery grease they call icing. I really haven't eaten that stuff since I was a kid. Anytime there's been a cake with icing on it I don't eat it.

I'm really not an icing snob, if I find a good icing out there I will definitely use it.

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 15

Hi ladies, I posted this a few days ago and didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd ask again, since you have hits. I have the same dilemma as you sugarflour2. I want to order Sweetex, but I live in the desert and the website says they don't guarantee if it melts during shipping. Has anybody you know ordered this and had a problem? I hope you don't mind me sneaking in on your post icon_wink.gif . Thanks.

awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 15

Personally I have not used SugarShack's recipe but I keep hearing and seeing great results with it so I am thinking more and more about trying it. I only have a 4.5 quart KA but there is a modified recipe floating around somewhere on CC...

Someone earlier today posted a PERFECTLY smooth round cake as an example of the results they were able to achieve after purchasing her video so I am really tempted to get that too.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 15

where are you purchasing the 4# from/ Global Sugar Art is saying they are out of stock, so I'd like to find some where to purchase the smaller quantities too.

awolf24 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 15

Here's the link for the awesome smoothness that goldenangel88 got with sugarshack's icing and technique:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1233867.html

I know that doesn't give a reference for the taste issue but WOW, that is some smooth BC!!!!

sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 15

kristina67, no I don't know anybody personally who's used sweetex, that's why I'm kind of afraid to try it...but I'm going to. I think if the ladies on here can use it with their beautiful cakes, I can at least give it a try.

I don't know anything about this product so I have no idea how it reacts in hot weather except for the people on here saying their cakes fair well in the heat. How does crisco hold up in Las Vegas? Does it melt? If not, I don't see why sweetex would, but I really don't know what's in it.

2sdae: I just saw a post on here today, here's the link:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591572.html

sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 15

Wow, I forgot to give props to goldenangel88 for that awesome cake. It looks smoother than fondant. If I could just find out if it tastes as good as it looks, I'm 100% sold.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 15

I order mine in 4 pound containers from the bakers kitchen. got my first order delivered to my door within 24 hours .... i've been sold on them since. I bought 2 - 4# containers the first time & was happy to have the extra on hand for future baking.

I use sugarshack's recipe & LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!
It's amazing how easy it is to work with & smooth.
She has a video on you tube.
The pearl wedding cakes in my pics were made with that recipe as are a number of the other recent pics in there
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1178170
Good luck!

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 15

Oh and it does taste as good as it looks!

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 15

Hi Sugarflour2, Sorry this is off topic but your avatar cake looks so good!! What kind of frosting did you use?
Thanks

sugarflour2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks 282513, it's ganache. The borders are ganache beurre praline (whipped ganache with butter and praline paste) and SMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%