Canon Printer Ink - Is This Okay?

Decorating By mary-ann Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm by mary-ann

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #1 of 8

I recently ran out of ink and needed an edible image quickly. As a last resort, I used the ink refill needle and added red, blue and yellow from my airbrush colors, but put it in the bottom side (without pushing the needle in.) It worked perfectly! Is there any reason why I can't continue to use the airbrush color?
Mary Ann

7 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:14am
post #2 of 8

*ahem* I do believe you have figured it out!! lol.....I am thinking that all that 'ink' is food coloring so what the heck difference does it make? Was it able to make the colors you asked for? I know the printer 'brain' mixes what it thinks is it's own ink to make the colors you choose....

I am trying to figure out how to get my hands on a printer setup for under $150 but it looks like the inks need 'chips' (whatever those are) and the ink will cost $100 with the chips, another $80 for the printer and then the cost of either edible paper or frosting sheets.....what did you do?

mary-ann Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 8

I bought the Canon printer and the ink cartridges but no chips. Maybe I don't need them for my printer. Whenever I put in the ink cartridge, the printer window asks if it's new or not. I use the printer so seldom that the ink is always dried out or wasted while I print test patterns, and clean the heads.
The colors printed exactly as they should. I had to be careful when refilling not to let the colors go in to the next chamber but it was simple to do. I'm getting a backup cartridge just in case but I'm going to keep using the airbrush colors unless someone else knows it's a problem.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 8

It seems you have resolved an immediate problem for many users of these printers used only for edible images printing.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 8

If you purchase certain epson printers there is a seller on ebay that sells refillable cartridges that don't require the chips. Just do a search to epson refilable cartridges. I purchased them and the refill kit from kopykake but I may try the airbrush color when I run out.

lnb19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lnb19 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 8

Let me see if I understand what's going on...Are you saying that you purchased regular cannon and epson printers but somehow use airbrush color instead of the ink cartridges that go with it? Please explain. I'm confused and if what I said above is correct, then I need to run out and get a new printer Asap!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #7 of 8

That is interesting information. I never thought of putting my airbrush colors in my ink cartridges.

For those who are looking to purchase a printer, I bought my Canon ip3500 at Office Depot for $60.00 after a rebate ($80 without) and was purchasing my ink and cartridges through KopyKake until I recently found www.icingimages.com. They make cartridges with the chip in them (the only company that does this) for Canon printers and they also have a cleaning solution for your printheads which you do need. Mine gets clogged all the time. Their starter ink kit comes with your cartridges with chips, cleaning solution, and 25 frosting sheets for $145.00

mary-ann Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnb19

Let me see if I understand what's going on...Are you saying that you purchased regular cannon and epson printers but somehow use instead of the ink cartridges that go with it? Please explain. I'm confused and if what I said above is correct, then I need to run out and get a new printer Asap!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I still used the ink cartridge, but when it was empty, I used a needle (they are sold with the ink refill colors) to add airbrush color since I didn't have a spare cartridge or any of the printer refill color. The directions I found online said to somehow take off the top cover piece, look for refill holes, make sure the vents were covered, etc. Instead I turned it over and filled it from the bottom where the ink comes out. I didn't insert the needle, just let it slowly absorb into the sponge. I guess an eye dropper might work too but you have to be careful not to get the color in the other colors if they are in the same cartridge. This was just an experiment and I can't say whether it's going to damage the print head or not but it solved my emergency.

I also found out that my local Shoprite grocery store has problems with their printer too. When I ran out of icing sheets, I took a picture to them to have printed but they couldn't get their printer working. I was able to buy two blank sheets and they charged me $4 each - $7 if printed. The local Acme grocery store won't sell them anymore. It's good to know in a pinch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%