First Wedding Cake,need Help![Long!]

Decorating By wildflower Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm by wildflower

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 7

ok so i was approached by the cuzin of a freind who asked me to make her wedding cake for this august,she sent me a picture of what she has in mind and it seems fairly simple and she was really nice about everything...however since its my first time i need some advice from pros such as urselves so here goes:
she told me that she wants one three tired cake[stacked],one two layered stacked and one single one and she wasnt to set them up on the table in a way that they look liek a staircase winding down....although i have never stacked cakes before i really want to do this just because i love decorating and this seems fun and a lil challenging so any and all advice is welcome
also she wants me to bring the cakes and set them up at the hall which is at least an hour away from where i live....so my question in regard to that is would it be ok if i iced the cakes and then jus set up the flowers once i got there?she wants roses and lilies cascading down the side of the cake so how would i make sure they stuck?the cake is going to be iced in buttercream...flowrs probaly fondant and royal icing[does that work togther?]
also she didnt specify what size of cakes she wants in the three tiers and left it up to me,so would 6 inch 8 inch and ten inch rounds work stacked?or is it better to do 6 9 and 12?
most important....m scared to overcharge so what would u guys consider a decent price for all thse cakes plus transport and set up?m going to try attaching a pic of the cake she sent me so u can get an idea of the design shes looking at
thanks sooo much

6 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmm, I am kind of confused. Does she mean three tiers on pedistals to look like a stair case like this?

http://www.weddingcakestands.com/acrylicstands/lydia.htm

or three cakes for a total of 6 tiers? That is a lot of cake.

does the picture she sent you have this staicase look you are describing?

Ok, the other questions...

definately bring them unassembled and finish the set up there. If you have to drive an hour be sure your AC is going before you load them in the car and be sure they are well shilled before you leave, that way they won't shift in the car.

be sure you have a piece of non-slip liner under the cakes.

to attach fondant or GP flowers to a cake you could make them on wires and then insert the wires into drinking straws and just stick them into the cake.

if they aren't wired and aren't too heavy you could likely "glue" them on with some RI. if you have the time I think all GP/Fondant flowers would be beautiful and wiring them would really be easier than gluing them on the side.

the size of the tiers will really depend on how much cake you need. you should have a look at the wilton serving charts to give you an idea.

about pricing... come up with a price per serving that meets your goals wether that is to make a small profit, a big profit, or break even. be sure to consider all your costs, not just ingredients.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 7

i would also say to definitely practice with at least one tiered cake by then. thumbs_up.gif

wildflower Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 7

ummm what she meant by the staircase look is that first shed put the three tiered cake,then the 2 tiered one next to it but a little to the front and then the single one after
as for the size of the tieres she really isnt worried about those cakes feeding all the guests cuz its for 500 ppl so the ones i mentioned are mostly for show and then the rest she is going to get sheetcakes from costco
i mean she jus wants them to look nice basically which is why i was wondering with the cascading flowers would the tiers of 10 at the bottom,8 on top of that and 6 as the last one look ok or woild it be better if it were 12 9 and 6?
i ask because i was dreading even making a ten inch cuz of the size and 12 jus seems like whaaaaat?!!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 7

I think your cascade would look lovely on either of those size options.

some people like the look of having a lot of room like you would get with the bigger bottom tier some don't. with a 10, 8, and 6 you would have slimmer cake. I am not sure of the look she is going for but I am thinking for what you just decribed:

first cake 10", 8', 6"
second cake 8", 6"
third cake 6"

this is 122 servings

Here is a link to a cake with a flower cascade with 10, 8, and 6, it looks lovely.

http://www.sugarliciousonline.com/cakes/wedding/lemon_roses_and_white_daisies.html

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower

ummm what she meant by the staircase look is that first shed put the three tiered cake,then the 2 tiered one next to it but a little to the front and then the single one after
as for the size of the tieres she really isnt worried about those cakes feeding all the guests cuz its for 500 ppl so the ones i mentioned are mostly for show and then the rest she is going to get sheetcakes from costco
i mean she jus wants them to look nice basically which is why i was wondering with the cascading flowers would the tiers of 10 at the bottom,8 on top of that and 6 as the last one look ok or woild it be better if it were 12 9 and 6?
i ask because i was dreading even making a ten inch cuz of the size and 12 jus seems like whaaaaat?!!

I'm concerned for you that she wants to get sheet cakes from Costco...if this is an opportunity for you to get more orders, I think I would say no to that. Her guests won't know that the sheet cake pieces aren't yours, and if they dislike it, it'll hurt you, not the actual vendor (Costco).

Other than that, practice with stacked and tiered cakes, and see how you do. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH!

wildflower Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 7

thanx soo much everyone
as for the sheet cakes i mean i would offer it to her but she told me beforehand that she wants those for the price which i think im fine with but thannx so much for ur concern i really appreciate iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%