Your Best Kept Secret...

Decorating By ChristianCakeBaker Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 3:32am by taygetta

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:01pm
post #121 of 163

Love this thread.....
just had to add when you goto the hobby store (Micheals, Hobby lobby, etc) check out the aisle where they sell clay and sculpture products. You'd be surprised the price difference for items like cutters for clay vs cutters for fondant.

Oh, just thought of it.... I tell my fondant students to go down to their local (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) and purchase a piece of $2 PVC pipe 1 1/4 inch for rolling out fondant, the Wilton guides $4 that can be purchased separately for the large Wilton rolling pin $25 fit on the PVC pipe.

If Wilton only knew all the extra info I give my students I would be in trouble.

Tamara

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #122 of 163

Cake Central is my biggest secret. When people ask me how I did something I just say, "Oh, I looked it up on the internet."

ChristianCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianCakeBaker Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:03am
post #123 of 163

WOW! i never imagined this thread would take off! i have learned SO MUCH from reading these posts.
icon_lol.gif
-ok.. i would have never have thought to put coffee creamer in icing... GREAT IDEA!
-and heating up buttercream before icing the cake makes a lot of sense.. it will save me some headaches
-the jelly crumbcoat thing is awsome
-and i love all the "doctored'' cake ideas.

these responses are exactly what i was hopeing for! i am a self-taught cake maker and i really appreciate all the advice from the pros!

as for my secrets:
i have none besides CC... i never give out the website to people... and no i'm not being selfish! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 5:18am
post #124 of 163

I am absolutely loving this post!! I'm a cake newbie so all these secrets and tips are great!!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 12:46pm
post #125 of 163

Great tips you guys!--I want to try making vanilla now...!

I don't think I have any best kept secrets, but here's what I do:

1. Extra cake batter gets baked in 4" springform pans to make mini cakes that go in the freezer for quickie samples (or great midnight snacks).

2. You can get away with NOT greasing a pan at all if you put parchment in the bottom. I never EVER skip the parchment, tho I usually use Pam under it...

3. Never torte, fill, or crumb coat a freshly baked cake (I always freeze mine at least a few hours to overnight).

4. I use as many organic products as possible (sugar, flour, eggs, milk) and Valrhona cocoa and chocolates.

5. Leftover IMBC can be frozen and used for filling in my next cake, but not for the icing--I find it changes in color when defrosted and rewhipped. (Note to self: Bad, bad idea for wedding cakes when you think you can pull out that extra imbc when you run out at 1 a.m., icing a wedding cake)

6. Logicpic support system in every cake. LOVE it!! Transporting is now the thing I worry about the very least, and I can just drop the cake off and disappear, with no time consuming set up on site.

7. Giant scraper from Home Depot spackling department (about 20" across) for smoothing really big cake tops.

8. Wear all white, nonfuzzy clothes when working with white fondant.

9. Homemade gumpaste *can* work, but I found recently that it works best if it's made a long time before you need it (weeks even) and left resting in a tightly sealed container. It seemed more like storebought when I used it later. Using it fresh, it just dried up too quickly while working with it.

10. When working on wedding cakes, I, too, spend time praying for the couple to have a great day and as truly blessed a marriage as I've had. 21 years together and still absolutely crazy about each other! icon_smile.gif

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #126 of 163

I soak all of my cakes in simple syrup....with lemon juice for lemon cakes, rum for chocolate cakes and so forth....I learned it when I worked at the best bakery in my town and thought it was a good idea.

My best kept secret is my intern....I can't tell her this now (as I don't want her to go work for competition) but she is amazing! We don't use a buttercream recipe and I just let her wing it and it turns out pretty much flawless everytime! I have to watch more closely next time and take some notes. I think she really just is trying to do her best because she is new and I blow through things sometimes...she has helped me realize that I need to take it down a notch!

Taking classes: Toba was my instructor and I learned a lot!

Practice: sounds lame but sometimes you just have to sit down with a piping bag and mess around for an hour

Using cookie cutters on fondant for multidimensional pieces

Using nontoxic chalk for petal dust

Take pictures (good ones) of all your cakes, you will be thankful later!

NFSC recipe....soooo good everyone loves it! I will never use anything else

pasquerto Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #127 of 163

I soak all of my cakes in simple syrup....with lemon juice for lemon cakes, rum for chocolate cakes and so forth....I learned it when I worked at the best bakery in my town and thought it was a good idea.

My best kept secret is my intern....I can't tell her this now (as I don't want her to go work for competition) but she is amazing! We don't use a buttercream recipe and I just let her wing it and it turns out pretty much flawless everytime! I have to watch more closely next time and take some notes. I think she really just is trying to do her best because she is new and I blow through things sometimes...she has helped me realize that I need to take it down a notch!

Taking classes: Toba was my instructor and I learned a lot!

Practice: sounds lame but sometimes you just have to sit down with a piping bag and mess around for an hour

Using cookie cutters on fondant for multidimensional pieces

Using nontoxic chalk for petal dust

Take pictures (good ones) of all your cakes, you will be thankful later!

NFSC recipe....soooo good everyone loves it! I will never use anything else

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:17am
post #128 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

6. Logicpic support system in every cake. LOVE it!! Transporting is now the thing I worry about the very least, and I can just drop the cake off and disappear, with no time consuming set up on site.

Can you tell me what the Logicpic support system is?

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #129 of 163

We don't use a buttercream recipe and I just let her wing it and it turns out pretty much flawless everytime!

What do you use instead of butter cream?

lutie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #130 of 163

To: Pasquerto:

What do you use instead of butter cream? (I could not get this to work when I submitted it previously.... sorry for my "design flaw".)

pasquerto Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #131 of 163

Oops sorry if I didn't put that the best way....we DO make buttercream just don't follow a recipe. Its basically throwing the ingredients unmeasured into the mixer....I don't know what she does but its great!

lutie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #132 of 163

Oh, that makes sense to me now! For years I did not use a butter cream recipe and it turned out great most of the times... now I use the one I posted (strawberry butter cream) on the Recipes part of the web site... I substitute the flavors in it for the fillings for various cakes, and it has been a winner every time! I think the butter you use really makes the difference!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:09am
post #133 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

besides the things I've learned here, CC is definitely my secret. no joke. my friends will say oh I have a friend who likes cake decorating, do you know any good website? and I'll be like sure, maybe try wilton.com. icon_wink.gif

rotflol!!!

I do the SAME THING!!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #134 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

The 1-2 punch of luck's pearl spray...and clear gold on top of that...

OH CRAP....now i gotta kill ya.

elaborate, please - I'm not familiar with either of these!

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #135 of 163

I am also interested in knowing more about the "Logicpic" support system? Never heard of it before, but it sounds good. icon_lol.gif

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #136 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaryk

Love this thread.....
just had to add when you goto the hobby store (Micheals, Hobby lobby, etc) check out the aisle where they sell clay and sculpture products. You'd be surprised the price difference for items like cutters for clay vs cutters for fondant.

Tamara

Thanks for this tip! I never would have thought of it and it saved me some cash today.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:14am
post #137 of 163

Endymion, when you make your gumpaste molds do you "grease" the object before pushing it into the gumpaste & do you let it dry in the gumpaste before removing it or do you press it in, remove it then let the mold dry?

As for artificial sweeteners. Yes, I know they aren't the best for you. I drink them more now than ever & trying to get back to my 1/2 gal to 1 gal of water/day. I just tell my family they won't have to worry about embalming me when I die. lol Cakediva, I've always liked to put a little fruit juice in my water. My favorite is lime juice. It's not as tart as lemon. Another thing you can do is get a 2 or 3 qt pitcher & put some strawberries & lemons/limes/oranges, etc in it to "soak"--just pour off what you want. Experiment w/ different fruits, they add enough natural flavor & not a lot of sugar.

My tips have been found on CC & Sugarshack's DVD's . No, I don't give out the site or recipes that people "love". I've done a lot of trial & error & won't give it up that easy! icon_smile.gif . I too say a prayer of blessing over my cakes & cookies.

Think my best used tip since I found it is a center dowel. I may try a plate system once I have my business up & going.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:33pm
post #138 of 163

For the gumpaste molds: I think I just pressed the object into the gumpaste and then removed it right away.... Just went and found the little car. It doesn't feel greasy, so I must have just used a light dusting of cornstarch (rather than cooking spray) to keep it from sticking.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:03pm
post #139 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

My secrets (most learned here, of course):

- Using flavored yogurt instead of sourcream to enhance flavor.

macsmom,

if the WASC recipe calls for 2 cups of sour cream, can i simply replace it with 2 cups of plain yogurt? it is difficult to get sourcream at the supermarket locally sometimes, and i have been searching for a good substitute. have you or antone else ever used this substitute?

http://www.recipezaar.com/153046

donnan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnan Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:15pm
post #140 of 163

What is NFSC recipe??

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:18pm
post #141 of 163

Staceyboots I have used the same amount of yogurt for the sour cream, even 1/2 & 1/2 (did it when I discovered I didn't have enough sc late at night).

Another sub chart is here http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7056-In-a-Pinch-Substitutions-Chart.html

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #142 of 163

thanks, dandelion!!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #143 of 163

âThe sweet kiss of death known as sugar!â

Yes, yes, artificial sweeteners are bad for you, but what about the evils of refined white sugar and processed white flour? Have you read the book âSugar Bluesâ? The author traces all the worldâs problems (war, slavery, poverty, addiction, mental illness, diabetes, tooth decay, obesity, etc, etc) back to refined sugar.

So which will kill me first (LOL) the artificial sweetener in my coffee or the refined sugar in my cake?

Seriously, pick up a copy of Sugar Blues or Sugar Shock. You will never look at sugar the same way again.

BTW: my best tips/secret is SugarShackâs DVD on perfectly smoothed cakes! It is FAB!

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:06pm
post #144 of 163

alright, what's this talk of homemade vanilla. Anyone know what number page it is on?

pasquerto Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #145 of 163

NFSC is no fail sugar cookie recipe posted on here

Homemade vanilla:
1 liter vodka or bourbon
10 split and scraped vanilla beans in your closet for 6 weeks

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #146 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquerto

Homemade vanilla:
1 liter vodka or bourbon

I don't think 1 liter of vodka is enough to keep me in the closet for 6 weeks party.gif

I jest....thanks

pasquerto Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #147 of 163

Homemade vanilla:
1 liter vodka or bourbon

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:01am
post #148 of 163

Here's a loaded make your own vanilla topic link.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=103205&hl=making+vanilla

And another little ditty is--wanna get the corners on square cakes done right? After the cake is all iced and you wanna start smoothing, pipe an extra fat line of icing up each corner--it will help tremendously.

None of these are my secrets of course. I just learned them from someone else somewhere along the line.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:17am
post #149 of 163

Here's a fondant tip that really helped me:

After you're done rolling out the fondant to the size you need, and before you put it on the cake....go over the it with your fondant smoother. You can fix most of the flaws and it get very very smooth. Then after it's smooth put it over your cake. Doing this makes it much easier to get a flawless finish.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:21am
post #150 of 163

The Logicpic system is my favorite, and you can check it out at logicpic.com

They have great service, and the system works great, is easy to put together, and is basically disposable OR reusable, so you can have the bride not worry about it and toss it (build the cost into the cake), or have them leave you a deposit and return it (which I do), so you get some of the support frames back.

Check it out; I never transport without it. Seriously, I joke that you'd have to drop my cakes on the floor to get them to come apart...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%