Whipped C. Cheese Icing W/fondant?? Possible??

Decorating By mariela_ms Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 3:15am by Texas_Rose

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I need you help please in answering a question.

I'm making a cake for my niece's baptism. It will be a 3 tier, 10", 8", and 6" cake.

I will be traveling with this cake for about....4-4.5 hrs all ready to go. We live in AZ where its super hot, but we will be traveling at night.

My question is, I have a really good recipe for a whipped icing with cream cheese. But I wanted the cake to have fondant accents (stripes, dots...).

Can I use the whipped cream cheese icing with the fondant accents?

Or am I just better off just using buttercream?

The thing is, I am Mexican and my family is not used to buttercream (just yet, I think I was the one who introduced them to buttercream!) They think its too sweet and of course heavy. They are more used to the whipped kind of icings.

Thanks so much in advance...

5 replies
mariela_ms Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 6

anyone???? please?

cutiepiemx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiemx Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Mariela,

I have used cream cheese frosting with fondant accents (flowers, ribbons, etc) with no issues, but it was unrefrigerated for only 3-4 hours tops.

Myrna

mariela_ms Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Myrna!

I worried about that too. I'll probably end up using buttercream.

Thanks again

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #5 of 6

Particularly since you are traveling with the cake, I would be afraid to use the whipped icing. I have used a regular cream cheese under fondant and it worked well. The kind I used crusted well. You could also try the "less sweet" buttercream recipe from CC. It works well and is not nearly as sweet. Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:15am
post #6 of 6

If you use unsalted butter in your buttercream and then add a pinch of salt, it will cut some of the sweetness.

Cream cheese frosting and fondant would work fine together if it weren't for the traveling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%